Question about your views on Climate Change (Global Warming)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SkiMax, Apr 3, 2009.

What do you think of global warming?

1. Definately happening

2. Happening, but only because the earth goes through these cycles

3. A combination of humans and natural earth cycles

4. Totally false, just something drummed up by the media and Al Gore

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Just wondering what everybodies thoughts on this topic are.

I am a science teacher and I strongly believe in climate change due to humans. Now viable solutions are alot harder to come by. I was just wondering what everybodies views are. I have quite a bit of knowledge on the subject and wouldn't mind a friendly discussion on the topic.

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    While I dont think global warming is a total crock, I think it has become a very political subject that is blown out of proportion for political agendas. Although there are certainly things we as humans can do to protect the environment, this planet is a living, breathing entity. As far as I know all living things age and eventually die. This rock we live on is no different. The changes we see are going to happen reguardless. I think we can certainly control things like pollution but I dont think we can control the aging of the planet. Just my 2 cents.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gotta agree with it being in the natural scheme of things,Just like the ice age. IMO Politics aint got no business involved with science. Al Gore pushed this issue to fill his own greedy pockets .

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I put that it cyclic, the ice that created the great lakes melted about 12,000 years ago or something like that and if I remember right we didnt have any factories spewing out crap then:wink:

Dont get me wrong I think that we as a race (humans) should do more to keep the whole world as clean as possible but I dont think that we as a race are even touching the percentage of bad gasses that is put out by a volcano

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Man made global warming is the biggest lie perpetuated by mankind and aimed at the pockets of America.
    Just another tool used to fleece Americans like we aren't fleeced enough already.
    Another tool to take your liberty.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's kind of the 64 trillion dollar question. Returning the earth to a preindustrial level of emissions may just be more costly, in terms of economic and human impact, than it would be to let it go and deal with consequences.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I voted totally false. Not because of Al, or the media although they have both promoted the issue for their financial benefit. We simply just know more. We have every kind of information streaming in at incredible rates. People have an innate need to translate this information into a credible thought. Some folks get payed big money and use up a lot of other peoples time gathering and simulating data and they better get an hypothesis written down to earn it. Give a hundred professors a hundred sets of facts and a hundred days to test theories and you might get fifty percent agreement. My own opinions are just as valid as theirs because we are all supposing and what-if-ing. With all the knowledge that the scientific world has accumulated over the entire time of human existence, nothing is any thing more than an educated guess. There have been theories taught for peoples entire life times that were thought to be true and set in stone, only to be completely refuted a hundred years later. How mush of our so called irrefutable evidence will be found false in the next fifty years? I say leave the prophesying to prophets not professors.:wink:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    WE ARE ALL DOOMED! GATHER TWO OF EVERYTHING AND DON"T FORGET THE UNICORNS THIS TIME. LOL!

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The earth has been changing cycles since the day it was formed. Long before man appeared.

We were in Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rockies National Parks last year. All the rangers were crying about the glaciers melding.... well, they been melting since the day they formed. So be it!

Sulfur dioxide emission rates remain elevated at the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii... it's a wonder some crackhead professor or politician doesn't blame that on man. And then want to spent trillions to try to fix it! :smile2:

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I said its a combination of the two. The Earth does go through cyclic changes in climate, but our CO2 emissions sure don't help anything. In all honesty though, we as the most intelligent creatures to walk the Earth do need to start treating our home with a little more respect. We need to learn to be less wasteful and using reusable energy sources isn't a bad idea.

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i haven't bought into the global warming theory that is being pushed by special interest groups. Yes, the polar ice caps are melting. They have been melting for thousands of years, ever since the ice age. Sometimes I think the talk of Global Warming by these special interest groups is just a big ploy to pocket money.

If I go out in the street and yell "The sky is falling", sooner or later somebody will listen to me and want to make it a crusade to stop the sky from falling. Probably making me a rich person along the way. There are people just looking for something to latch onto thinking it is nobel. Thats how P.E.T.A. got started. One lady yelling loud enough that others latched onto her message.

12. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i think its a bunch of bs, the history of the world shows this has happened many times before, just people trying to get rich off of something in my opinion, we can all do a little more in helping to keep the land clean, but i have seen no proven facts that our emissions are affecting the atmosphere, these are just someones guesses and unless i see proof i wont believe it and im not even from missourie:wink:

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    it is a natural occurence but humans are just speeding it up. we are not good enough to destroy the earth

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont see much support here for this idea and there are more and more scientist speaking out against it too.But you dont hear much about them because they get shouted down.No it hasnt been proved.It wont be long before someone is saying we're heading into another ice age.

15. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    why does everything have to be political. This global change has been going on from the begining of time ,if it had not we probable wouldn't be here now talking about it now. .He ask what WE thought as individuals not what someone else thinks . I'm from Tenn and in just my 62 years I have seen the winters warm up . I believe it's mother nature. also here in Tenn the last three years it has snowed in April and three years ago it snowed 14 inches and they are forcasting snow here tommorrow nite.

16. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    After all the record cold we had this past year they changed from calling it Global Warming to Climate Change. What does that tell you???
    Biggest crock to come down the pike in a long time.

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I think the changes will occur faster because of man's actions. Unfortunately I also think it's just about too late to do anything about it. Man has proven to be his own worst enemy.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    It might be happening, I'm not sure. If it is happening I believe its a normal part of earth cycles. I don't think man can influence it too much. It may be possible that man has some effect. Some scientists say that the stuff we put in the air shields the earth from absorbing solar radiation, thus cooling the planet.

The govt just wants us to conserve fossile fuels because we are entering another ice age and if we don't conserve now we will be uncomfortable when it all runs out.

19. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    So for those of you that don't believe in it, and thats your right and I respect it. But how do you account for the fact that the 10 hottest years on record (and we can actually measure that back thousands of years) have all been in the last 15. Or that the currents in the oceans, especially the Atlantic have been slowing.

I dont mean to step on anybodies toes, I'm just kind of curious how this is explained besides 'it's just people trying to get rich'. Which I can tell you, 70,000 dollars for my education to make 28,000 a year. I'm not trying to get rich off this conspiracy.

And for those that say it is just a cycle, just remember that geological cycles take at least hundreds of years unless something very pronounced occurs (the polarity of the earth changing, meteor hitting earth, etc). This is the first time in history, and once again we can go back millions of years, that we have seen these changes happen anywhere nears this fast.

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You say you can go back millions of years, so tell me, how do you know this information is accurate? Isn't it merely supposition and assumption? I'm afraid there are no absolutes only theory's. I say again it is all guess work. With the accumulation of modern historical data and weather patterns for the last one hundred years, the weather cant be predicted accurately a week in advance, let alone guessing what it was like ten thousand years ago and predicting what it will be like in twenty years. Science doesn't even know how the earth was made. Yes they have a theory, but it hasn't been proven.