Question about Yo-Yo's.....

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Jul 3, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Just bought my first pack the other day, the aluminum ones that are 3"-4" diameter. It seems like the clip swivel that comes on them is a little small, do you guys find it prudent to upgrade to a heavier swivel? Or does the spring action prevent them from baring too much load to break? Just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time replacing them, BTW I don't expect anything over 10lbs in the waters I'll be using them. Also, what style hook do you find best to work with them? Thanx!

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    never have changed the swivel on the yo yo's. The spring takes the pressure off of them. I mostly just use mine to catch Crappie these days but never have used a very big hook on them... Just depends on what I am planning on baiting them up with as to what size and style hook I put on them.

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Thanks for the imput bud! I kind of assumed you matched to hook to the bait, the only think I can think to avoid is a circle hook.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They're not designed for big fish. I did catch a 10 lb channel once.

I always use large minnows with # 1, 1/0, or 2/0 J hooks; catch just about everything in the water, mostly crappie, white bass, drum, channels, smallmouth, largemouth, spotted bass, etc.

The only modification I've done to mine is to enlarge the hole at the top enough to attach a trotline clip to them for fast placement and retrieval.