Question about using crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have always heard you can only use crawdads if the are soft shell. once the shell hardens you cant use them . how does everyone else use crawdads. if you use them ??? you can buy them cheap at pet stores , but i believe the shell is hard. i would really love to here some info on this one

2. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I dont think its matters with the hard/soft shell crayfish. I get mine from a bait shop that sells the bait by bulk where most local baitshops get there bait from. Just hook em threw the tail and cast out. You can rip the claws off or keep them on. Some people step on them before the cast them out to get the "juices" flowing. Hope this helps!

3. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    A crawdad is a crawdad, I use them all. I seine mine up out of ditches.I just can't force myself to buy bait other than crickets.

4. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    do crawdads work supended live and kicking on a float? figured they could cause quite a predatory reaction with all that comotion trying to get off the hook. but I havnt had a chance to use them yet. does this work?

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Another way to rig crawdads is with the use of a baitband. It's a small rubberband, put the crawdad through the baitband, then hook the band. and you should have a lively bait all day. Or at least until it gets bitten.
    Will

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've always heard, if you can get them, the soft shell are the best but both are a really good catfish bait.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that Flatheads love crawdads.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i prefer the hard shells because u can cast them better. I have not been able to tell difference in strike ratio of the hard shells verses the soft. I noticed that u catch alot more fish if u have the smaller grey colored crawfish. The larger red or black ones dont get as many strikes

9. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I use all of them. I have not noticed a difference between hard or soft shell crawdads

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If they were soft I would just put them on the hook, if the shell was hard I would step on them to get the juices flowing

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Are they better than traditional catfish baits??

12. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When you use crawdads here is south Gerogia, no telling what will hit it. Bass will usually beat the catfish to it. After my son fishes a bass tournament, you have to clean the live well out. The bass regurgitate crawdads and crawdad parts out in the livewell.

13. Thanks Coonx:

Great Idea for fishing a craw and keeping it alive. I think this would be a great method for baiting trotlines and limblines as well!!

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The diets of flatheads between 12"-24" is nearly 100% crawdads.

15. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love fishing craws when im out catfishing. You just absolutely never know what your going to catch. Soft, hard, with or without "pinchers" doesn't seem to matter. If your river fishing don't be surprised to hook into a big drum!

16. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    It doesn't matter soft or hard. I have fished with them alot. On some of the bigger ones I usually pull off the pinchers.