Question about ugly sticks. 10ft+

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfish_clayton, Feb 23, 2008.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Im thinking of ordering 10 ft m/h bigwaters, The rateing for the lure weight says 2-6oz. I use a 3-5oz sinker with a large bluegill or sucker. Do you think this rod would be able to cast such a large amount of weight. I was also looking into the 11 and 12 ft. h action uglies, but the longest rod I've ever used was 9ft. and I dont know if I could get use 2 all that extra length. Any info would help.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes tose 10fters will work...I just bought a 12ft bigwater and it's a beast.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've been using a 10' spinning outfit for six plus years now, with no complaints. You do have to make some adjustments when going to a longer rod.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    NO! I tried exactly that, and was disappointed when I tried to throw bigger weights and sinkers. I could get better distance out of my stiffer 7' rods. I took the MH back and traded it for a H, which was rated for up to 12 oz, and it made all the difference. These were casting rods* and I think you are probably talking spinning, but we are talking about the same rod blank here. Trust me, with the weight you are tossing (big weight + bluegill) you will be happier with a heavier rod, even if that means going to 12'

*Shakespeare quit making the MH 10 and 12' casting rods a year or two back, which is probably a good thing, but there are probably still some out there in tackle shops. They continue to make the MH spinning.

5. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Yeah, Im talking about spinning rods. How much dif r these 12footers when u r fighting the fish?

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I should have added I never went above 3 oz. plus bait.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Clayton I have the 12' spinning big water ugly, I used a 8 oz. weight with a big piece of cut shad, and casted it about 70 yds. , but Im 6'3 and 400 lbs. It takes some getting used to, but yeah the Heavy 12' is awesome , I caught a 25 lb. blue last year on the river, and I horsed him in like a channel cat. Just make sure to put a good spinning reel on it. I can highly recommend the Shimano Baitrunner 6500. I use 30 lb. trilene big game on mine, you could cast it even farther with 80 lb. braid , but I wouldnt use that if your gonna be bank fishing the river. The mono will be more abrasion resistant , which will help you with all the snags/rocks youll encounter at the river. If you have any more questions , just pm me and Ill help you the best I can. Hope this helps. :big_smile: