Question about trotline

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by F150Catfish, Feb 5, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    few year ago, I have use trotline during summer, I did put it on shoreline to a bottom in lake. I have caught only 3 to 5 catfish on trotline... I set up about 25 to 30 hooks on trotline but only caught few fish??? I put the trotline in about 25 to 30 feet deep to shoreline. I tried use livebait bluegills on hooks, but no luck with flathead as while.. I have caught alot flathead on fishing pole than trotline... any help me about improve to do trotline this summer??? Thanks

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Picking the right spot to put your trotline is just as important as where you put your bait when fishing with rod & reel. IMO, structure is the key to both kinds of fishing. What kind of structure, how deep, what baits can vary depending on the available water/structure, time of year, and what kind of cat you're trying to catch. If you want to learn more about structure, look at all the stuff about b@$$ fishing away from the shoreline.

3. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    putting trotlines on the bottom in a calm lake during the heat of the summer probably won't work very good at all ... if you set your line and it's below the thermocline there won't be any fish down there ... suspended lines work in the summer but if this lake has a very large tributary like a major river system then during the summer the bluecat may leave the lake. they do that here and don't get back for about 3 months. about the first of may would be the best time of year to fish with trotlines if you're just wanting to catch fish ... april would be even better for trotlining as you wouldn't have to worry about the thermocline. cluecat will bite on shiny hooks when other fish are on the line .. when I trotlined I'd bait every third hook with chicken gizzards and a few days later I'd have fish on about 60 to 70% of the hooks ... I used a 100 hook line and the hook drops were 2 ft apart ... by using the large shiny hooks around fish that are caught on the lines and thrashing around that'll attract other fish ... the thrashing around by a fish caught on the line will make any fish that's drawn to the area hit anything they can see in the water and that's usually just a shiny hook. it causes a chain reaction as well .. the more fish that get on the line the more that will be drawn to it. the chicken gizzards were used because they're tough and will eventually catch a fish and that's all you want to happen ... I didn't worry about the quality of the bait or anything because it can be anything that you use for bait on a trotline. the caught fish are the main fish catcher.

use gallon jugs to suspend your lines about 5 ft from the surface in the heat of the summer ... most all the fish will be up shallow if they're not up river ... there's more oxygen closer to the surface and they can't survive below the thermocline but for a few minutes.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Tiny hit the nail right on the head. The only other thing I could recommend is baiting your trotline with crawfish. We've caught many a cat with em in the river and lake. Good luck in your fishing.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    That's help me alot! Thank you so much!!:cool2:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use live perch and shad whenever possible. And istead of 30 hooks on one line, I use 15 hooks on 2 lines. Mainly because I can have 33 hooks total, so 2 lines in 2 different spots ups my chances of having at least one of the lines being in a good area, and still have 3 rod 'n' reels out. Location is key. I normally don't catch more than 5 fish off a line at one time either.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    When I fish a lake I haven't been on before, I'll look for where trotliners have laid out their trotlines. You can recognize the good trots from those not so good, especially in deeper water. I fish with line and pole near the well laid out lines and usually do well. Those guys put those lines there for a reason. Usually, its because structure is there. I don't crowd the trot lines, but back off from them, working areas nearby on both sides. You can learn a lot about the wheres and how-tos of placing trotlines by seeing where the experts put theirs.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    along with what Tiny posted.....SWITCH TO CIRCLE HOOKS!:smile2:

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    instead of running your line from the bank out into deep water run it along the bank in 3 to 6 foot of water.bait with live pearch or large minnows.if you can find a clay or mud bank with large rocks close by you are in for some flatheads heaven.

10. Ruffneck

Ruffneck New Member

State:
    De Soto, Missouri
    there are many ways to set trotlines alot depends on the water being fished. In small rivers I usually set my lines at the end of a riffle before a deep hole deep may be 4ft or 20 ft again depending on the water.
    I have best luck using minnows and small green sunfish (warmouth)
    When fishing on the Mississippi I try to locate deep scour holes towards the middle of the dykes. I sometime go off the end of the dykes but I wouldn't recomend this to somebody new to trotlining on a large river.
    I also have a hole which is 25' to 30' deep with a lot of timber when fishing this hole I stretch my line across the top and tie off jugs to float it. I have found that circle hooks work really well when doing this but thats the only time I use them. again bait can very but shad and chubs mainly used live perch and redhorse also hope this helps

11. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've been using trotlines for 40 years and even I learned something from Tiny's post. Thanks.