Question about the tiger rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by river_rat_42, Apr 30, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish the Ohio River, and yes I have the chance of hookin' up on some monster size cats: and I try to every week. BUT..... I never catch BIG ones, just little ole' 7 and 8 pounders, and every once and awhile we'll catch some cats reachin' 12 or 13 pounds (the biggest ever caught by me; 23lb. Bluecat). So, my point is-. Since I usually don't catch huge fish on a regular basis, even though I am going to try really hard this year, are the Ugly Stik Tiger rods to stiff and bolky for my style of fishin'. The only size of Tiger rod that I have ever found at the Bass Pro hear are the 7ft. med/hvy. ones with the real long handles. If you know of any good Tiger models for catching 7 and 8 lb. fish, yet big enough to put an Abu Garcia 7000C3 on, and bring in a 50 pound flatty, please tell me. and please share with me where I can get these rods, unless you think the 7ft. med/hvy. Tiger is the rod I need, cause in that case I'll just get that one from Bass Pro hear at home. THANKS A TON !!! Good Luck Fishin' Guys!!!

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Wal mart sales a shakespeare tiger spincast M/H combo for 20.00. The reel isn't all that great just trash it and add a abu 6000 or higher. I use this set up on my guide service and you will not beat it. The tip is very light and the rod has landed some many fish from 1 to 61 labs you can count that many. Over 300 20lb + just this year.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the same as tim said just depends on what kind of money you wont to spend i just bought 2 tigers this year iv put some nice fish in the boat with them

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have 4 M action Tigers that I can't find anything to complain about. Caught several Blues between 7 and 15 lbs. and they did'nt even grunt. M/H might be more than you need. Depends on the style of fishing you do. I use mine for Long line drifting in lakes and they work great. If Bass Pro does'nt have the action you want, they will order it for you to save you the shipping costs. At least they did for me! Good Luck and Good Fishing!!!!:big_smile:

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The med. tiger would be a good match from what your saying , provided it meets your needs for weight and bait . The tip is soft enough to detect that light bite and enough back bonr to stop that bruiser should he happen along . If there is any doubt on any of the things i mentioned then by all means do not hesitate to step up to the MH .

6. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was lookin' on the internet yesterday (http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/ugly.shtml) and found under the Tiger Rod selections that they make a 'UglyStik Tiger Lite' rod. Have any of you used these rods for catfishin' and if so are they good cat rods and are they as durable, and well built as the origanal Tiger series. Any comments will help. THANXXX

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I only have one ugly stik medium tiger spining rod, it has a line weight of 10-50lbs and I have a shimano baitrunner 6500B on it. The biggest one so far on that rod was a 43lb flatty and it worked great. That rod has a very light tip and a very strong backbone, it will work great for you.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    From my understanding of this rod which i personally do not own one of , the lite has to do with the construction which makes thw rod physically lighter , as well as the action a power a little lighter but the rod is none the less functional it is still a ugly stick built for saltwater applications , same warranty and so on . The heavy version of the light is about the same as the regular medium heavy basic tiger rod . and then you have the other obvious differences such as the handle and the trigger . all in all you should be ok if you should decide to go that route .