Question about the Coosa??

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by AlaCatter, Apr 21, 2008.

1. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    I am needing a little info about the Coosa River. As all well know the BPSBCQ is coming to Rome this week, and I plan to attend. I have ZERO knowledge of this river north of Weiss Dam. Below Weiss I could drive it blind folded all the way to Montgomery, if we had locks. Here's my questions. 1) Is the water navigable all the way from Rome to Weiss Dam. Any dams, shoals ect. in the path. 2)What is the average water depth? The river stretch of Neely Henry is around 25 feet channel deep. 3)Are there any unobvious danger areas or hazards I need to be aware of? Just needing some info so I don't arrive extremely ignorant, just plain ignorant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I could be of any help to any of you as far as the lower reaches of the Coosa, please let me know. I could even show you around down here if you would like. I'm also very familiar with the Tenn River from Lake Barkley down(or up) to Nickajack. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The old lock and dam is about 7 mi. downstream from Rome and is impassable by prop boat (some do in jet boats when water isn't really low). From Rome to the lock and dam av. depth is maybe 10 ft. with some shallower shoals, but it is navigable. There is a boat ramp at Lock and Dam Park just below the old dam and it is navigable by any boat from there to Weiss with an average depth of about 20 ft. My dad and I are thinking about fishing the tourny, but can't find any info online :confused2:. I was wondering where the registration will be? Maybe you could help me there :big_smile:.

3. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    BUMPER I THINK YOU CAN FIND THE INFO AT WOODYSTAXIDERMY.COM UNDER FRESHWATER. YOU MAY HAVE TO SCROLL THRU SEVERAL PAGES TO FIND IT . WISH I COULD GO BUT ITS MOMS 86 BIRTHDAY SO I WILL BE GOING TO A PLAY IN CARTERSVILLE INSTEAD.GOOD LUCK.

4. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks for the info bumper, thats exactly what I was looking for. Here is a little info for ya. Weigh-in is at Ridge Ferry Park, Offical launch site is at Lock and Dam Park. I take it that is the same dam you referenced. I hope to see you at the tourny, When I find out where registation is, I will let you know. You can probably find out quicker than me about registration. If you do let me kinow..Thanks again.