question about the Abu 6500 TCCM Catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by coolbig2, Jan 1, 2006.

1. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I recently read that the abu 6500 TCCM Catfish was discontinued due to drag problems, is this true? If so, would the regular 6500 TC subsitute well for it?

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey coolbig2,

I don't know about the TCCM. I looked at the TCCF (discontinued) and found it to be a little awkward in the drag area. The star wheel looked like it would be hard to get to if you were fighting a big ole cat.

I think that I am going to buy a couple of the 6500 C3 or C4 reels and then buy power handles for them.

Hope this helps.

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Terry, have you looked at the reels side by side? I could be wrong but I believe the "star" drags are identical on those reels. When Abu puts out reels like the tccf, they're "generally" nothing more than another model repackaged with different color side plates and some fancy engraving.

As far as drag problems go, ALL abus before the 2006 models are hurting in the drag department. I don't know which models, but some for 2006 will have "Carbon" disks which should really help to smooth them out. Older models can be upgraded with smoothies or Carbon for just a few bucks.

/Scott

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I landed a 50-lb flathead on a 6500 TCCF, No prblem with the drag here.

5. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive noticed that the 6500 TC standard, has the carbon matrix drag. Im betting that will serve me better than the standard star drag on the TCCF, but Im not sure. If I had my choice though, it would be a quantum iron 420 or 430cx. That is, if I could ever find one.