Question about suspicious emails

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jan 7, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i get goofy emails sent to me all the time and mostly get in the junk mail box , but a few get to the INBOX and i know better than to open most of them but i have opened a couple just to see what in the heck they were .

here is a following message that i opened and how does this get to MY email address when its clearly not even close to the same name?

From: "vocabulary a" <yjantique@wysongusa.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    To: bekmv@sbcglobal.net
    Subject: Are on cage
    Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:04:47 -0500
    One was to announce their arrival in the town of Dunkirk in France, I did and made it a long business, folding them with very little skill I will be going alone, she said. It is alone I must be seeing him. before she appeared at the inn door, looked here and there, and seeing
    She thinks a heap of me, says he. And Im no like you: Im one It will be all one to me, she cried. I prefer to be disgraced. Meanwhile, I had opened Miss Grants, and could not withhold an position, where she had been entrapped into a moments weakness, and
    France, of which I knew very little, and further of his visit as now constancy upon my studies; and made out to endure the time till Alan embarrassed. If any had seen us there, it must have been supposed that It is I that am to be the only dealer and the only judge. I shall
    her scarce ever but at meals, and then of course in the company of it must have come over both of us at once what little cause of joy was sense of danger and hidden enemies, when I spied Alan, come back again boat drawn up about the middle of the prospect, and an officer in
    I am not here to discuss that with you, said I, but to be quit of came at last to the head of a knowe. Thence I had a picture for the more alms. For that is what we are, at an events, beggar-folk and I shall be late home, and EARLY TO BED AND EARLY TO RISE, GARS BONNY
    other; neither seemed to observe me, she gazing on the floor, he in a knot and cast down by itself in another part of the floor. Enough that he drank a great deal, and told us very little that was to myself a dull, stockish character in comparison of my friend, and very
    were through with it. Dod, Im thinking it would be a kind of I think you forget, Mr. Drummond, said I, that, even in dealing with you so. There will never be the girl made that will not scorn you. And I need speak of him no more; it is not of him that I am thinking,
    Silvermills. But cheer up, my dear. yere bonnier than what he said. studies, still I was thinking of that. Next Alan came, and I went She avoided even to look at me, only walked before her, like one who I do that, said I. O, sure you know it - I do that.
    sails one after another from behind the hill, diverted me extremely. And yet theres naething easier. cried Alan. I could easy learn ye neglect, and I will be browbeat by no man living. My mind is quite But I would not have you think of me too hard. It was true what you

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I get about the same thing usually with stock reports or stock options at the bottom. I just delete them as spam.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From Wikipedia:
    As Bayesian filtering has become popular as a spam-filtering technique, spammers have started using methods to weaken it. To a rough approximation, Bayesian filters rely on word probabilities. If a message contains many words which are only used in spam, and few which are never used in spam, it is likely to be spam. To weaken Bayesian filters, some spammers, alongside the sales pitch, now include lines of irrelevant, random words, in a technique known as Bayesian poisoning. A variant on this tactic may be borrowed from the Usenet abuser known as Hipcrime -- to include passages from books taken from Project Gutenberg or nonsense sentences generated with dissociated press algorithms. Randomly generated phrases can create spamoetry (spam poetry) or spam art.

~~~~~~~~~~
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I have a rather simple rule: If I don't know who an e-mail is from, and I'm not expecting it, it goes to the trash folder and gets deleted without opening. You'll save yourself a huge headache in puter problems some day.

Instant messaging, e-mail, and cell phones have created the biggest bunch of human Pavlovian responders - like we cannot seem to not look. You can choose to ignore anything sent to you, right? I tell my wife and kids all the time, "Just 'cause the phone rings, you don't have to answer!"

Dennis

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank you Jeb for the Lesson on Spammers.However sir You Really Lost This Old boy.I'm really Stupid on this Putter stuff.I think that that that they like You and DRC a Whole Lot Better than Me. Cause no one ever sends Me any of them cans of Spam, and spam on fresh white bread is one of My Favorites.Lip Smacking Good.J.D.
    :beat_shot:

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sure John, you're stupid like a fox...:lol:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Over self-confidence is equal to being blind.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "how does this get to MY email address when its clearly not even close to the same name?"

They use the bcc field (blind carbon copy) to add your address, and probably a thousand other addresses. The address you see is one that they put in the regular "To:" field.

What they gain by sending out such nonsense is the real mystery.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That sounds like a statement a catfisherman would make. Always turning everything into something to eat.:embarassed: JD you are something else but I love you brother.:haha: