Question About Spinning Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by river_rat_42, Nov 30, 2005.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 2 catfish setups and both of them have spinning reels on them and my buddy thinks I should switch to a baitcaster. What do you all think is the better choice for catching cats. (keep in mind im not catching the biggest catfish in the world)
    And, does anybody have an opinion on what type of spinning reels are best for catfishin, that I could get from Bass Pro Shops.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I use both. Really like the baitcasters, less line twist. I guess it is really what the person wants to use, rather than whats better.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I agree with T-bone, and there's not really a particular "best" reel. It's whatever you preferences are and what your fishing situation is. If your using very light weight, than spiinign reels might be easier to use. But with heavier weights baitcasters work great. I personally swithced to almost all baitcasters with "Clickers".....aka......"fish alarms". And I wont hardly use spinning reels anymore. But spinning reels are awesome for lures, Bobbers, stuff liek that. Each type of reel has it's own use. Same thing with hooks, rods, pretty mch everything. Apply what you feel is the right gear for the right fishing conditions. If your not fishing for real "Big" cats spinning rods might work good for you. But for big cats baitcasters come in handy, most baitcasters have alot of power and can hold alot of big line..............20 lb test or more.

Good "cattin" to ya! :)

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use spinning all the time . Look at the shimano and okumas they will handle up to 6oz on a good rod .Penn also makes good spinning reels . A good spinning reel will handle BIG fish as well as bait casting. I would say buy what u like.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey river rat 42,

You my want to checkout the "Shimano Tidewater / Freeliner or the Baitrunner" Spinning Reels. :006:

Trust Me - I have both, and they are the best Spinning Reels I have ever used. :D

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For most conditions spinning will work fine, I now use baitcasters, but I used spinning reels for years and caught alot of nice catfish....I would go with a shimano baitrunner, from bass pro.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use both. But, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with spinning reels. I've had good luck with the maintenance and usually can cast farther. Better accuracy with the baitcasters though. As for handling big cats, a reel like the Shmano baitrunner can do the job on the right rod. Maybe in heavy cover the baitcaster has the edge, but in more open water, its not as much of an issue.

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I use both as well! I do use Spinning more for Catfishing, Carp and Lure fishing and feel comfortable with them. I use Baitcaster/multipliers for Saltwater applications most of the time. I have caught fish on both and do not have a problem with either. When fishing deeper water on a boat, the use of a multiplier will give an advantage as stated before. In the end, the tools are there and you are using what feels good to you. Most of my fresh water fishing is done from shore and therfore the use of a spinning or baitcaster reel is not a problem. I will not tell you what to buy, but say that you should find what fits your budget. JMHO!!!

HOPPY4