Question about snake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by F150Catfish, Feb 8, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Here pic

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/FordCatfish/snake.jpg

Last September, I was fishing on dock in Arkansas and I have few small bream in minnow bucket. I pulled the bucket out of water, I was going grab small bream for bait flathead, I never noticed the snake was in minnow bucket... I almost got bite from this snake. but I am lucky.. I took bbgun from door locker dock, I shot snake's head. well I'm sorry if you don't like kill snakes but I cannot get this snake out of minnow bucket... Here question, this pic what kind snake is???? I believe it just watersnake... well some guys said it's look like mocasin snake but I don't think so... Thanks

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    hard to tell, looking at pic. but sure has moc look, if it had fangs, and their is a way to tell by scales from anis (butt) sp, I think scales are split back to tail . on poisionus snake,. On none the scales run all the way across no split back to tail. I may have this backwards, serfe intrnet on poisionus snakes.
    Jim

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    From the looks of the shape of the head, sure looks like a moccasin to me.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Its one of the 2 kind of snakes that scare the hell out of me.A small one,the other is big ones!!!!!:lol: :smile2: :tounge_out: :eek:oooh:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sure looks like a cottonmouth to me

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    andrew that is my favorite kind of snake a dead one the only thing i hate more than snakes are gar

8. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Thank You Andrew, that's one less snake to worry about
    I HATE THEM
    Sharon

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That looks like a common water snake. Moccasins are usually brighter, and the markings are more sharp-edged. I have seen those before, in fact, a decent-sized one bit onto a shiner in my cast net last summer, and I thought it was a cottonmouth but after a little research I found out it was just a common watersnake. The cottonmouth moccasin seems to be more orange.

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    shape of body looks like a cottonmouth to me. did he have a dark band from his eyes to his mouth?

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
  12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it's water snake also. The reason being, the tail has a long taper to it. Cottonmouth's tail is short, and blunt tapering down more abruptly. It's difficult to tell from the photo though. You probably did the right thing by killing it instead of trying to mess with it. I don't like to kill snakes, but in that instance, you probably had little choice. Also, if it wasn't gaping at you with it's mouth open, it probably wasn't a cottonmouth.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As one who had kept & bread snakes for over 30 years I can tell you it is NOT a cotton mouth. The shape of the head and tail are all wrong.
    I can't tell exactly what type of water snake it is, but it's definately not a venomous snake.

14. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i do beleive thats a moc....if it did bite you it would of hurt like crazy and made you alittle sick but not kill you..they are just like copperheads just darker in color and perfer to be closer to water

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Wrong on both counts.
    It's not a cotton mouth & if it did bite you it very well could kill you or at least cause serious tissue damage. Although it is related to the copper head, they both belong to the genus agkistrodon, It's bite is much more serious than that of the copper head. :smile2:

Eric

16. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The body does look like a cotonmouth. The head looks more like a common water snake. The cottonmouth being a pit viper has a vertical slit type pupil. The water snake has a round pupil. The fangs are another way to tell the difference.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You're in luck...I'm an authority. It's a copper-headed rattle mocassin.:tounge_out:

Nah, Eric nailed it.

18. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    It looks like a cotton mouth to me, the head has the right shape, and it appears short and fat.

19. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Before there are 10,000 posts about what it is....refer to my first post. I didn't say "might" be that I recall.

The only time it really matters though, is after you get bit I suppose.

Unfortunately, we don't have those snakes here in NC. We do have one of their cousins that 9 outta 10 folks call moccasins. Instead of blowing off his head, wacking it with a shovel or beating it with a stick.....I decided to see if it was hungry.......answer was yes........

Here are a few pictures of that encounter.:lol:

http://www.greggofish.com/Northern.html

20. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin