Question about slugs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by lookin_4_moby, Sep 7, 2009.

1. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I have a mossberg 835 and I'm wanting to do some slug hunting this year but don't want to change my barrel because I also do pheasant and duck hunting. what slugs would you recommend using with and unrifled barrel and what choke would you suggest?

2. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I to have the 835 ulti- mag in 28" waterfowl.

You can not use slugs dont even try it! read the print stamped in you barrel, it will tell you in bold lettering DO not fire slugs. the slug will "wobbel" down the tube and get jamed,terring up the inside of the barrel

all 835® Ulti-Mag® smooth bore barrels are overbored to 10 gauge bore dimensions

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=2&section=products#

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    If you have shotgun that is safe to fire slugs thru the tightest choke you want is modified, improved cylinder is the best for a unrifled barrel. Some of the newer guns have screw in choke systems and you can buy rifled tubes for slugs.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what colton said is right on the money. the overbored bbl is not safe to shoot slugs through.

5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    :embarassed: well guess I'm buyin a different barrell. thanks for the advice and savin my gun:tounge_out:

6. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know about Mossberg's, but Remintons make a rifled barrel that has a cantileved scope mount, so nothing for the scope is attached to the reciever. That way, all you have to do is switch barrels when you want to switch game, it only takes a few seconds and the scope stays dialed in. I have had this setup for more than 10 years and everytime I go to site in the gun before deer season its always dead on or needs very little adjustment from year to year,highly recommended. Look into it, I would be willing to bet Mossburgs makes something similar.

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry, my first post was assuming you would want a scope too.....

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah I'm plannin on getting one