Question about sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by rockbass, Jan 15, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I pour my own sinkers. Right now, I pour bell, egg, and bank sinkers. I like the way bank sinkers hold in current, but thought about buying a flat bank sinker mold.

What are your opinions on this style, and how well do they hold up to current as compared to reg bank sinkers?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The flat no-roll bank sinkers will hold better in strong current than regular bank sinkers will because they ar flat. That is the only kind of bank sinkers I will use.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I like no roll sinkers. They are flat and work well for me!

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    You may want to get a "No-Roll Sinker Mold" --- I don't make my own, but for fishing in current, there's nothing better.

I'm lucky enought to have a B.O.C. member making some for me, that fit my fishing style. :) :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for your opinions guy! I think I will definately get a flat bank sinker mold sometime soon. I think I will go with one that has 3 oz plus though. when I need less than 3 oz of lead, I never have a problem with any other sinkers holding.

6. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I have bank and no-roll up to 8 oz. Like 'em both, but do recommend the no-roll for fshing cross current from the bank.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont know how your riggin, three way- carolina rig ect., three way should work great carolina might not be so good with it being flat on the bottom in might not let the line slip through as well. Someone else might tell you otherwise, I have never tried flat banks. I dont use banks at all any more because I quit using three way rigs, it would always twist together. I tried using banks in a carolina rig but it still twisted up with my leader. So its a no-roll or egg for me. IMHO Your best bet would be to buy a couple sinkers and try em out before spending $30 on another mold. If you three way riggin I'd go for the flat bank, for carolina I'd recomend no-rolls they would probally hold as good without twisting. I have a 3,4,5oz no-roll mold from do-it that works well.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have the flat bank sinker mold that makes 3,4,5 oz. sinkers. It is a great investment. I also make no rolls, egg, split shot, coin, pyramid, and reg, bank sinkers. I like to sit down and make several up and bs with company.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I myself like the walking sinkers for drift fishing they are hard to beat.

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry I did not clarify how I was using them. I rig my sinkers most of the time as a slip rig such as you would with an egg sinker. Most times if I am fishing the river or creeks with little or a lot of current, I will use a bank sinker and they hold pretty well. I need to get a mold to make some larger sinkers, so I thought about getting the flat bank sinker mold. I don't care for the regular no roll sinkers, but do like the bank sinkers.........so I figure I would try the in between sinker..Flat bank. I am going to go with that for sure now.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think in the library somebody posted how they make no roll sinkers from the bottom of beer cans. for myself the tire wieghts do just fine in heavy current,and i dont have to pore them. 3-4 0zers keep a lively gill in place without rolling at all. they dont seem to snagg as much as bank sinkers either.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tim, pouring sinkers are part of the fun! I have the equipment to pour my sinkers and I must use it or the wife will say " you bought that stuff and never use it ! ":) :)

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) I use the no roll sinkers and they work well in current, flats, and stumps and on ledges.....I got my mold from catfish connection and are happy with the results.:)

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i couldnt find the post about using the bottom of beer cans to make sinkers but ive done it. i put the two bottoms of 24s together, made a mark with a sharpie on opposite sides of both cans then i took a small pen style hook sharpener (a small round file should work) and made a half circle groove on both sides of both cans for the pin (try not to go all the way through or the lead may run out). then cut one of the cans in half a couple inches from the bottom and drill a decent size hole in the center (pour hole). when your ready to pour, pour a couple ounces in the bottom of the half can with the hole(to keep it from moving while your centering and KEEP THE CANS TOGETHER when you pour) if not the lead will push the top can up and run out. line up your pin holes put your pin in and MAKE SURE THE TWO BOTTOMS ARE CENTERED if not it will run out from between the cans. now just pour led in the hole you drilled till its full, if it runs out enough or you miss the hole enough that the hole is covered take a spoon and push the lead away from the hole or youll have a time getting your sinker. theise take about a min to cool before you can pull the pin so have more cans and pins. once the pin takes some effort to pull, the lead should be hard enough to remove. after its cool hit the edges with a file real quick and its good to go. when you get too mutch lead in the half can turn it bottom up and carefully put it in the lead you got cooking for a few seconds and fish it out with the spoon and start over. the 24oz cans i use make about a 15oz round flat slip sinker :)

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It would seem to me that a smaller no-roll sinker would work better than a larger bank sinker. The bank sinker offers a lot of surface to the current which requires a lot of weight to hold its place. The current washes over the no-roll, so it don't have the bulk to push around. I would think a 3 oz. no-roll would be about the same as a 5 oz bank. You may want to use two poles and experiment with this idea to see what size weights you actually need. And, don't forget the no-snag sinkers either... they have the same characteristics as the no-roll as far as holding bottom, but come up off the bottom fast when retrieved, hopefully bypassing the rocks, logs and trash that gravity has placed on the bottom.

16. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    After using no-rolls for the first time I bought a mold and quickly melted all other sinkers down to make more no-rolls. I have no other size in my tackle box.

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I like the no roll sinker in a cross current. Otherwise I use everything from a split shot to a bank sinker. It depends on where I'm fishing.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got 2 flat-bank molds, 3,4,5 oz and 6,8 oz. I like them because they're easy and quick to pour (no pins to pull) and hold as well for me as no-rolls but since they're flat they don't bury down in the bottom like regular bank sinkers do. Good Luck!

Branden