Question About "Shad"

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by FRANK, Feb 14, 2006.

1. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Hello members of BOC,

I have obviously been reading quite a bit of VERY VERY useful information on this website about Catfishin, I am getting really excited about trying alot of the ideas I have read and seen pictures about on this site but as I read, I see lots of catfish bait threads that mention "Shad" and I am just wondering what exactly is "Shad" ?

I know that it is a fish that you all use for catfishin, but is there another name for this species that is that I may know it as?
    I tried to google it but there is so much diffrent kinds of shad that I am not sure of what kind you all are talking about.

The reason I ask is because I would like to try some shad cut bait this spring/summer but need to know what it is first before I can use it.

Thanks

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    lets see,

Threadfin, Gizzard, and American are the three most common type of shad.

they are a smallish "forage fish" native to most bodies of water in the US.

We have several threads on here about shad that include pictures of shad.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Hello Frank,
    I was the same way about Shad till I moved to Clarksville Tnn.I went to a place that is called Cumberland City Tnn.There were fisherman dipping Small fish below the power plant.I said what are these people doing "I ask".Then an old man said they are dipping shad.
    These were avid Catfisermen.Rought looking as any Catfiserman is.Well since I just moved from Mich I had the same Question.

There at the steam plant there was regular shad and then there was a yellow tail shad.The fisermen loved the yellow tail ones.

You can scrape them and then fee-lay the sides.then I saw them using the GUT and man did the cats eat them.If you should ever go down south and visit Cumberland City Tnn.I would say it will be worth the trip.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    use the search button at the top right and type in "shad pictures". Tommy has a few pics if you read through the threads. I tried to cut and paste a pic here but it didn't work:confused:

5. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    You guys are Awesome!

Thanks for your help.

During my evening expedition and calling all sorts of people, I have found out that where I live in Southern Ontario, we do NOT have any type of Shad here.:sad:

That sucks, cause it seems to work really weel for many BOC members and I really would like to try it.

Thanks again!

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Frank, do ya have any kind of forage fish ? Maybe minnows. If so try them out in place of shad.
    What kind of cats do y'all have up there ? How big do they get ?

7. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Yeap, we have Minnows and they work, usually get about 6 to 10 pounders on minnows.
    I have never tried cut bait blue gill before, but I plan on trying it this spring to see what I can get.

The only catfish that we have where I fish is Channel Cats and Brown Bullheads....we don't have any Blues or Flatheads but I wish we did, although a couple guys here say that they have caught Blue cats before, but theres no proof.
    The Canadian record Channel cat is 44.5 Pounds caught in teh Red River in the province of Manitoba, my local provincial cat record for my province of Ontario is 25 pounds, I am not sure where it was caught, but I will reseacrh that and find out.

The biggest cat that I have seen caught was a 22 pound Channel Cat that my cousin brought in while we were fishing the Welland River.

Thanks for inquireing :)

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Frank, Sounds like y'all got some nice size channels up there. Try a gut pocket on them. I know ya will tear'em up on one of those. Once again do a search for "gut pocket" and ya will find the info needed on how to cut the bait and rig it.
    Do ya use any kind of stink bait there ? Down here in the south and other places also , Danny King Punch Bait works very well on channels.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Frank I am betting you have yellow perch up there based on my northern experience. If legal try a 4-6" whole or cut just the tail off at the anal fin. Good luck bro.:)

10. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

You ask what is Shad and I just can't help myself...
    Don't he play for the Lakers? :)

"A day without laughter is a day wasted!"
    ~ Charlie Chapin ~

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Frank, welcome to the BOC, neighbor. I hope you will enjoy it here with us. If you will go to this thread, there is some information about shad, that may help with an answer to your question.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3342

Post #7 has photos of several different shad species. One that isn't included there is the threadfin, which is a favorite bait in many, many places. Very similar in appearance to the gizzard shad, but they are usually only a couple of inches long, and are sensitive to cold temps, which causes die-offs in winter, with resulting feeding frenzies by predator fish, including blue catfish.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Just remembered another fish I caught up north that would probably make an excellent cut bait....Red Horse Sucker..cut in 1" squares and try that. :0a26:

13. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Thanks alot for the Hep T-Bone, actually the only stink bait that I use is my homemade stuff and I haven't had much luck with it, but then again I have only used it a couple times.
    I may start ordering some baits from the internet, hopefully they will work great for me, and being apart of racing I know how great it is to have sponsors so I will see what I can do to help support the BOC sponsors buy purchasing baits from them.

Oh yeah we have TONS of yellow perch up here, and they are open all year for fishing, maybe these are suppose to be the shad of the north...lol
    I am writing this stuff down for future refrence and I will be sure to try them, and I will let you know how I make out!
    Thanks alot again Ken!

THANKS ALOT! EVERYONE ELSE

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Frank if ya catch some big perch(which are fantastic eating) use the heads for bait. Down here shad and bluegill heads work quite well. Since yellow perch up there is probably the number one forage fish for all those big toothy critters they should work just as well. Again, best of luck.;)

15. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Just the heads eh, sounds good and I will try it out.

Thanks for the tip :)

16. tootuff2tame

tootuff2tame New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shad for the lakers...thats funny!

17. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    As I was raised in Wisconsin and have done a lot of perch fishing I'm with Ken on this one if they are legal to use I would be trying them both live and cut.