Question about SHAD

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Lil Grinder 20, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Lil Grinder 20

Lil Grinder 20 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    What is the best way to cut or use shad for bait?
    ive been using 2x2 chunks & i dont know how long i should leave them in tha water. also whats the best way 2 fish them in a fast current from the bank?

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well if ur fishin for flatheads, i would probly use live shad

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I made my own sides and guts. Fillet sides off and place in jars, pull guts and eggs out place in seperate jars. Get two different types of bait this way, with full grown shad. If they are small shad I would agree to use them whole also.

4. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    how big cause the shad i catch are about 4 lbs

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

We have most of our success using the heads with some of the guts hanging out.

SudDawg

6. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    how would i fish them in fast current. im talkin by the dam. do you leave them out long or what

7. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    chunks from the bank can twist your line when fishing fast current. you might try fillet strips, nice and long so they have action. 20 minutes tops in that current. if you git smaller shad the heads are good for dam fishing too. current will wash the oil and smell within 20 minutes so rebait often. the guts should work too.

8. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i agree, but how deep is it by the damn?

9. Lil Grinder 20

State:
    tennessee
    i realy dont know

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    4 lb shad i would like to see them wowie lol

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thats what I was thinking too Scott.....lol

If your catching Shad that big I would just fillet the sides off of them and use the whole side. Run two poles with a shad fillet on each and then another with the head and guts.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    man, thems some big ole shad. try shad sides, and the Heads.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    man oh man did you say a 4lb shad? My GOD I would love to have a freezer full of those.:roll_eyes:

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you asked me 15 years ago, "are there 4lb shad" I would have laughed at you till I peed myself lol. Now I know that they are out there. Me and a buddy got off work at 11pm, stopped by his house in newark to get his gear, then headed to Buckeye Lake to catch some shad so we could go to the river. I think it was late june or early july, anyway we took my boat down to the DAM area just down from the north shore boat ramp. I casted out the net cause there was all kinds of shad hitting the surface. Well I only casted that one time cause I caught 4 or 5 shad that combined weighed 12lbs. These things were HUGE. I have never caught any that big since, but they do swim in Buckeye.

15. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    don`t tell these folks that run this chinese all you can eat place here in town about 4lb. shad! i`m afraid they will end up on the buffet! if you know what i mean:smile2:

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've seen a 4 lb skipjack before. Never a regular shad though.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We catch the hell out of jumbo Gizzard shad around here too in our throw nets by the dam.

These suckers go from 1-3 lb easy. A 4 lber would be a really big one around here...but I'm sure they're there.

The big ones are fine if you're saving sides and guts...but myself...I prefer the smaller versions..2" to 5" is ideal for the flats, blues, and channel we catch.

However...I've found that the other species present are sometimes even better...a change in the menu if you will. The creek and river chubs, wild shiners, baby carp, or buffalo.

They aren't as numerous...and therefore harder to obtain...but well worth the effort.

I have found that the chubs will concentrate around and above the numerous rockpiles scattered about the dam area...both by the edges and out in the channel.

If there are big shad like that present...then the little ones are present too....they're just a little skeered...being so low on the food chain ya know. :wink:

Throw your net around the current seams close to the bank...or in the back of eddies....and see what you come up with.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Scale the shad and then fillet it, put out a good scent trail. Also on shad guts, it has to be a good size shad, slit its belly and shut pull the inards out, put on your hook with the gizzard as I call it on last. In heavy current you will have to change it often but it will put out a very good scent trail.:confused2:

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Nisha, You have a number of ways to cut up a shad. Use your imagination, I will scale the big ones, then filet both sides, then cut the filets into about 1 inch squares, which you can then put 3 to 5 pieces on a hook, Just hooked once per piece. And its best to hook the pieces in a corner not the center. If you have the center pegged with a hook, the corners can fold up and interfere with your hookset when a fish strikes. (Always make sure your hook-point is free of scales before you cast) You have to try very hard to get a hook to go thru a scale and then hook into something. So it won't work in a fishes mouth either lol. Sometimes I use a whole side filet, sometimes I just use the head. If they are small I will use them whole and just make some cuts on each side and one down the belly. Its all up to you, try different things till you find something you prefer.

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If it is possible to fish farther down the dam "TAILWATER", try that with any of the different types of cut bait, the tail water is just as good if not better than below the dam, but that matters on the part of the season being fished... for size, in my opinion it really doesnt matter I use the biggest shad I can and have caught tiny catfish the size of my pinky finger....you wont know they are there but catfish will eat any thing dead, big or small.

good luck