Question about SC lakes

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, May 29, 2008.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I know this is a touchy subject but its a question I've been asked for years and have never known or found out the answer.

Why is it legal to jug on Greenwood, Seccesion, Russell, Clark Hill and Stevens Creek but not on all the other lakes in SC?

I just want to know if anybody on here knows the answer or knows where I can find the answer.Calling the DNR is a waste of cell phone minutes.You just get the run around.

I dont want any negative comments from people half way accross the country that have no idea what the situation is here, thats why I didnt put jug in the main title.If people do want to trash the thread like they done Pop Pop's then I'll just have the whole thread removed.

I wish I didnt have to put a disclaimer or explanation on every post I do but so many simple posts have turned into volcanos lately that you have to.

So!!!! Does anybody know?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A man told me that there is nothing but degenerate inbred ignorant diseased knuckle dragging frothy mouthed troglodytes that live there, so they figured they need an easy way to catch fish.

JUST KIDDING!!! Ya'll can put the dictionary away and stop looking up the big words.

I T I S A J O K E!!!

:smile2:

Anyway, not really sure why the rules are the way they are. We do know, and this is sadly not a joke, that the SCDNR looks at catfish as a third class citizen. There is little known about them and little desire to implement research. Now largemouth bass; they have a timetable available for the daily bowel movements for that fish. :wink:

In one breath they want to eradicate the flathead because it is "an invasive species", then in the same breath they put a creel limit on the white perch...another "invasive species". I am sure they have a "good reason" they can recite to you....LOL!!! :smile2:

3. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Sorry Chris dont have an anwser for you, but that's just like you can bait deer in the low country but you cant up here. I guess the DNR does thing's like this to get under people's skin, because like you said it's a waste of time talking to them about it.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    That's a good question Chris. It's something that I have wondered about myself for several years. Let's hope there's someone on the BOC that can shed some light on the subject.

5. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am not 100% sure, but I would think it may have something to do with the number of people using it for recreatin, those anoying jetskis and skiers:big_smile:, rather than just simply fisherman. Though greenwood is become a big time recreational lake. Most of the other places legal to jug are not big atractions for these people. Again this is just my best guess.

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have wondered the same thing for years. What I find ridiculous is that no one from the DNR can tell us the reason why. I know in Hartwell as long as you have your SC fishing license you can jug on the Georgia side. At least that what I was told by one of their DNR officers. I sure hope someone can shed some light on this.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Perhaps Blackwaterkatz can sniff around and discover something, as he is our "inside" man at the DNR? :wink:

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Good post Chris, but in a way, I'm glad Hartwell is not a jug lake. We are starting to get a good stock of blues in Hartwell .( I don't think jugging would help it ANY) I'm not sure why it's not a jug lake. I myself hope it never becomes one. I know it's fun for alot of people , but I don't care for it.

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I got this from GADNR ,,,I consider Hartwell a state park lake. Then I may be wrong again

Set hooks and Jugs:

Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
    You must possess a valid sport fishing license when fishing set hooks and jugs.

It is illegal to use jugs on Lake Tobesofkee and state park lakes.

There are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    chris I was thinking about that the ohter day and I dont know, I kinda agree with bigcat0001 about it being a recreational lake or maybe it could be the money that lives around the other lakes and those people dont want trash floating everywhere. greenwood has alot of people living on it but the other lakes you mentioned doesnt. but thats just a thought. but if that is the case I dont think you will ever get anyone to say it.

11. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    so I have a buddy who works for Clemson ext service, and he does wildlife studies for the scdnr...he says that the DNR makes these kinds of decisions based on studies that involve many of the things several people on here have mentioned already, such as: recreational boater use, (skiiers, jestskis, etc), volume of water, the bigger the waters are the more commercial type fishing is allowed. Public access/park/recreation areas, and older more established waters for the public are less likely to become more commercialized. He said he would guess the most important factor is how many people are going to that lake NOT to fish, but for some other reason, and if jugging or whatever might interfere with that. The actual decisions are reviewed every year. He also said that if you felt like you should be able to jug a certain lake, to petition the dnr to allow that to happen, and they will bring it up if enough people request it. On second thought, lets petition them to get rid of it at the other lakes. (sorry bud, had to add my 2 cents)

jb

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and Patman where gonna try the petition thing one time.It wouldnt to ban jugs but to put a size restriction on the channel cats in Greenwood.I was pretty much shot down by the biologists, he said it would never happen.He said there was not enough demand for catfishing in this area for anything like that.Also that theres hardly enough DNR officers to enforce the rule especially at night while all the jug fishing was going on.

He did say that there would be a better chance of getting jugs banned then a size limit put on channel cats.I dont know that banning jugs would be a good idea.I think they may help thin out the population some and I think thats important to grow big fish.

I do know that tons of double digit channel cats fall victim to the jugs that float around Greenwood every night.I dont think thats a good thing.Especially since when I first started catching channels out of Greenwood, it was nothin to go out and catch 8 to 10 or more channels ranging from 10 to 16 lbs and sometimes bigger.Now its more like one over 10 per trip is good with 2 or 3 being real good and sometimes not even catching one over 10.

This is why I think the best solution would be a size restriction.That way the jugs and rod and reel fisherman could still thin out the population but have to let the bigger ones go.

Sad as it is, it will probably never happen and the days of the double digit channel cat will come to an end.Its happened on just about all the other lakes in SC and its already happening on Greenwood, possibly the last ray or lake of hope the big channels have.

Who knows maybe mother nature will take care of it eventually and we will be able to catch 15 to 30 lb channels like they do in the Red River in Manitoba.Based on history....... that want happen either.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My hope is to get the NCWRC to pass a law to allow jugging only during daylight hours (sunrise to sunset) unless the jugs are equipped with battery operated lights.

Jugs pose a navigation, management, and safety issue and either of the above mentioned options would alleviate that. I think it is a good way to accomodate the juggers and keep the water safe for pleasure boaters. :wink:

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chris you degenerate,inbred,ignorant,diseased,knuckle dragging frothy mouthed TROGLODYTE!!!!!:confused2:WHat in tarnation is wrong with you boy.You got something against Volcanos??????:angry:I happen to like volcanos a lot.!!!!!They contribute to global warming,add fertilizer to the atmosphere,blot out the sun, smell like crap and sometimes kill lots of troglodytes as well as speed up the evolutionary process!!:smile2:Besides they are right pretty at night all that l;ava shooting into the sky and draw lots of tourists if you have one in your neighborhood.:big_smile:Thats usually good for business.I would much rather have posts turn into volcanos than the senseless arguing and back and forth bickering that normally goes on.:wink::roll_eyes:poor man cant even love volcanos on here without somebody complaining or verbally assaulting him.SHEEEEEEEESH.On the other hand I havent the foggiest idea about the jug question!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

15. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Chris, I tried the same thing you spoke of in post #12., but my concern was grabbing, during flathead spawn season. I also was shot down, like a gunslinger with a slingshot. I even called my State Rep, and he had no idea what I was speaking of. I was pleased , but shocked when the slot passed on Santee. I feel your pain