Question about rigging....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CarolinaCatJack, Aug 21, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I've got a couple of questions for you old-timers (I'm gonna catch grief for THAT one...) but I hope this post isn't too long.

#1) Double-hook rigs. Are they legal in South Carolina? I've heard (keyword: HEARD. I know how rumors get started) that they are illegal in the freshwaters of our state. A co-worker just asked me about them about ten minutes ago and I told him that I didn't know. I figured you guys would.

#2) Umbrella rigs. They work pretty well on stripers, but what about blue catfish? Everytime I've gone blue-catfishing, I've found them on the finder in a school and 9 times out of 10, if I catch one, I'll catch more out of the same area. Also, blues are predators and go for live bait. I keep wondering....would drifting an umbrella rig work on schooling blues? I'm willing to try anything to do what man has tried to do since the beginning of time.....CATCH A FISH! Capt Chris, you're one of the local blues men. Any comments/suggestions/complaints/gripes?

Thanks in advance, y'all. 'ppreciate it!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't remember seeing it being illegal. If it is then sabiki rigs would be illegal I would think.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Matthew, the double hook rigs are not illegal, nor, as far as I know, are the umbrella rigs. I don't have any experience with the umbrella rigs for catfish, so can't comment on that. Of course, when I've got five or six lines drifting behind the boat, maybe that would qualify as an umbrella....:crazy:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The problems I see with the u-rigs is getting them low enough without getting snagged. At $30 a pop that could get expensive.

2 hooks are legal. There is a number of hooks you can have on a single line...maybe 5 hooks ? I know it was in last years regulations somewhere but I don't know for sure about this years.

5. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Thomas, Tommy, Jimmy.....Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info. As for umbrella rigs, I think I could make some up. A few clothes hangers, some hooks, a few 12-inch fake shad, and a little touch on the welder.....Nah, shouldn't be too hard. Cool! Another project!

Hey Jimmy, you're from Liberty, huh? LOL. I went to Easley High. I used to "date" in the Liberty area quite frequently.....Happy to see another good ol' boy from Lake and Mountain country.....

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC

I dont know how you could drift it close to the bottom without it gettin hung.

Like Tommy said if you drift with 6 to 8 rods then that kinda is an umbrella rig.As a matter of fact alot more effective than an umbrella rig because those 6 or 8 rods are covering alot bigger spread then that little umbrella rig.