question about rifle scopes

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whodaman, Feb 14, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I just ordered a Bushnell BDC rifle scope for my new Ruger .50 cal inline muzzle loader and i have 1 inch scope rings that came with the gun. I was told that they all are 1 inch but i don't know if that was true anyone know

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Not all tubes are 1", but most scopes sold in the American market are. Unless the Bushnell is a high end scope, and specified a 30mm tube, it almost certainly is 1".

Good luck with your new Ruger.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dave is right on. I don't think Bushnell even makes a 30mm scope. I'm looking at getting a BDC scope of some kind. I've had real good luck with the Trophy series of Busnell scopes but not the cheaper ones. The cheaper Bushell scopes tend to have the crosshairs detatch under recoil at the most inopportune times.

I've been looking at the Nikon and Pentax with the BDC reticles so I'm interested in how the Bushnell one works out.

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i ordered my scope off of http://www.opticsplanet.com everywhere i saw this scope it was a 100 plus but this site had it for 60 bucks and the even better part is they offer free ups shipping i ordered it Thursday moring and got it friday morning and i had it checked out by my gun guy and he was very impressed with it and had heard no bad reviews on the bushnell bdc

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow Corey! I just checked out their website. You've really gotta shop around. They've got some good prices on some items, and some things were normal price. But, if you need it, they've got it! If you're not worrying about saving 1 or 2 dollars, then it's a one stop shopping place.

6. CATFISH HUNTER61

CATFISH HUNTER61 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad to know thay still got the bdc scope.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That scope will use 1" rings. Most "european" companies make 30mm tube models and Redfield did at one time called the Ultimate Illuminator. Usually the 30mm tube scopes have larger objective lens 50mm-56mm. Hope this helps.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the best advice i can give you is this. wait until the scope come ins and mount it up, if it doesnt fit quite right, then you may have to get diffrent rings. i think you will be ok with the rings you have now, but like i said, you may not know until you get the scope and put it on.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Cory;
    As some have mentioned, most scopes made or assembled here in the CONUS are normally 1" rings, especially if they are included in an offer such as you purchased.
    However! You should still double check by hand fitting the rings and scope together first before tightening down.
    Also, just because a scope has a 50mm or 56mm Objective does NOT mean it's automatically a 30mm Ring size!! Scope manufactures today are looking for every little advantage they can find to make their scopes look like the very one you need! To that end, sometimes the marketing techniques are a little, ... shall we say "Extreme".:sad2: So it pays to read everything two or three times, take notes, shop around, look at the guarantees and warranties REAL CLOSE and be sure your getting exactly what you want, at the price you want or at least at a competitive price because the price most of us would like to see is either FREE or $1.00 with tax included!:wink::smile2:
    In the old days, probably before most of you reading this were born, there was a 26.5 mm scope tube and rings! Thankfully most of you will never have to worry about that one!
    Now, the "tactical" scene folks are starting to get into the 34 mm, 35mm, 40mm tubes. You will find these mostly on the European Imports.
    However!, and yet again, I am also seeing the 35 mm and 40mm rings on comparable scopes available here in the CONUS. So again, study and research carefully!
    I know of one company in particular that will make YOUR SCOPE YOUR WAY and if you want, you can have 50mm tubes and compatible rings and objectives up to 80mm and MORE :eek:oooh: and sighting adjustments from 1.0" all the way down to 1/16th" or less!!
    Needless to say, this is a very specialized area to get into and you better have a large pocketbook and a degree in optical engineering because everything is ground and assembled/made right there in their shop by optical scientists and ultra precision machinists, one at a time! So you really can "Have it Your Way!!" Well, Nuff said on that part of the topic!
    So, it sounds like your pretty safe in your purchase and if you gently had fit everything first you will find out very quick if you have the right rings or not!:wink:
    One last bit of advice.
    After you have your mounts where you want them put a drop of Loctite 242/Blue on the threads. Then when your scope is aligned and the screws are ready to tighten down { this presumes you have already done any necessary shimming and all } also put a drop of that same 242 on the threads of the screws that will tighten the mount up on the scope to keep it from moving. Take a Q-tip or part of a paper towel and wipe away the excess. Then give it a few hours or overnight to set up and you should have no problems.
    If worse comes to worse, and you moved the scope off of it's vertical somehow, you will be able to simply unscrew the scope retaining screws and line everything back up and, being a bit more careful this time, tighten everything back down. You should tighten those screws a little at a time for each one working them up to tight.
    Personally, I use a torque tool and start out at 3"/Lbs on each screw and work it up 3"/Lbs for each set until I get to the manufactures recommendations on how much to tighten the screws. NEVER, exceed those recommendations and remember that each companies rights and mounts have DIFFERENT suggested torque levels for tightening the rights and the bases!
    I hope this answers your question and helps you in the mounting of your Bases and Rights.
    Take Your Time, Go Slow, Do it RIGHT the FIRST time and you will be rewarded with a lifetime of fun and adventure out in the hunting fields.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The best one I have ever heard of is called a leatherwood, It was designed by a young army officer for vietnam snipers. He got out of the service and made his own company. I think he was bought out.

TP730x50MDIR - Leatherwood / Hi-Lux Optics ATR Top - Angle Focus Professional 7-30x50mm Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle 30mm Tube Rifle Scope w/ Extended Sunshade TP730x50MDIR

Leatherwood / Hi-Lux Optics 7-30x50 ATR Top-Angle Professional 30mm Illuminated Riflescopes are loaded with the outstanding features that distinguish a [​IMG]fine rifle scope from simply good sporting rifle-scope optics. Leatherwood / HiLux Optics ATR Top Angle Professional 7x - 30x 50mm Riflescope w/ Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle features a big and bright DiamondTuff fully multi-coated 50mm lenses. Leather Wood / Hi Lux Optics Professional ATR Top Angle Focus Illum. Rifle-Scope offers Leather-Wood own invented Top-Angle parallax adjustment and positive Fast Focus large diameter ocular lens. No short-cuts are taken to produce these Leatherwood riflescopes. All glass lenses are meticulously polished to photographic quality for exceptional clarity and light gathering capability, even during those critical low light hunting conditions at daybreak and dusk.
    The rigid aluminum rifle-scope tube is finished with Leatherwood / Hi-Lux PermaCoat soft luster blue-black finish that's practically impervious to wear, insuring this Leatherwood Hi Lux rifle scope will maintain its good looks through years of hard service. Internally, Leatherwood / Hi-Lux Optics 7-30 X 50 ATR Top-Angle Professional 30mm I/R Rifle Scopes incorporate all the latest riflescope manufacturing technology, and the turret adjustment are positive and precise.
    You can pay more, a lot more, but you simply cannot buy a brighter, more presize or tougher built 30mm scope! If you're looking to take your shooting to the professional level, you need Leatherwood Hi-Lux Optics A.T.R. All Terrain Top Angle Professional Scopes on your rifle. The Leatherwood Hi-Lux Optics Top-Angle Focus Adjustment Patent is applied and Pending.

Specifications for Leatherwood / Hi-Lux Optics ATR Top Angle Professional 7 - 30x50 30mm Main Tube IR Riflescope w/ Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle:

[​IMG]Model No: [​IMG] TP730X50MDIR[​IMG]Power: [​IMG] 7X-30X[​IMG]Obj.Lens Dia-mm: [​IMG] 50[​IMG]F.O.V. @ 100Yds (Feet): [​IMG] 10.6-3.5[​IMG]Exit Pupil Range in Variable (mm): [​IMG] 6.9-2.3[​IMG]Eye Relief (Inches): [​IMG] 3.3[​IMG]Length (Inch): [​IMG] 17.2[​IMG]Weight (Oz): [​IMG] 30.1[​IMG]Coating: [​IMG] Diamond TuFF14[​IMG]Reticle: [​IMG] Mil-Dot[​IMG]Elev.MOA: [​IMG] 1/4[​IMG]Wind.MOA: [​IMG] 1/4[​IMG]Features: [​IMG] 30mm Tube, Top Angle, Mil Dot, IR[​IMG]
    Package Contents:

• Leatherwood / Hi-Lux Optics ATR Top Angle Professional 7 - 30 x 50mm Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle 30mm Tube Riflescope TP730x50MD
    This is just one of the many scopes by the ART SYSTEM.

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HERES ANOTHER WITH SOME INFORMATION.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Leatherwood UNI-DIAL 6-18x50mm With standard duxplex/4plex cross hairs.

These scopes were designed by the legendary 2nd Lieutenant Jim Leatherwood who has been developing bullet drop compensation scopes since the 1960s and are used by the US military. These are Jim's newest generation of drop compensating scopes. Anyone could easily learn to hit there make without guessing distance and hold over. You shoot on the crosshairs, no need to guess "hold over" on the target. It also easily adjusts to "Ballistically Match?" your cartridge's drop (from .17 Remington to .375 H&H Mag). Leatherwood is confident their scopes are second to none and the clarity of the lens is said to be better than Leupold.

Only Leatherwood makes these Patented Uni-dial scopes. They can be used for any caliber and can be set off any bullet ballistics chart or by shooting the gun.

Lifetime warranty . ---Leatherwood makes nothing but top of the line scopes

It has a 50mm objective lens with a Parallax adjustment. Why is Parallax adjustment important? Take your favorite gun with a scope and set it on a solid surface. Focus on a target in the distance. Move your eye left to right then up and down. Notice how the cross hairs leave the target? This is Parallax error and scopes without Parallax adjustment will shoot different each time depending on how close you are able to center the cross hairs in the eye lens. This scope compensates for the error you have in your current scope.

The eye piece has a soft rubber edge you will appreciate if you've ever had a scope hit you on recoil or do in the future. If not yet your lucky because sooner or later it happens when you least expect it like when your trying for an awkward shot

Wide field of view

Shock, Recoil proof even on the big MAGNUM RIFLES, Fog and Water proof, Nitrogen filled

All lens are full coated for maximum light gain in low light hunting and scratch resistance. The 50mm lens is premium Diamond-Tough lens.

My Guarantee to you. If you're not happy, I'm not happy. Please return it within 30 days for a replacement or refund your choice. After 30 days factory warranty applies

Leatherwood Rifle Scope 6-18x50mm Uni-Dial Drop Compensation sLeathrwood6-18x50mmUni-Dial4Plex[​IMG]Regular price: $367.50[​IMG]Sale price: $330.95

[/FONT]

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Now that this post got cleaned up,I can read it :big_smile:sounds like a great scope . And as a poor boy ,just a bit high for me ,But for what they claim it is a real bargain.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yea, sorry about that I was just trying to help out!:embarassed: