question about regulations

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GawnFishin, Sep 28, 2009.

1. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i was wondering if any one knows the legal and safety issues of putting a larger motor than sudgested on a boat. For example i have a 60 hrs mercury my boat says rated for 75hr could i put a 90 hrs on with no problems. Im only asking because i saw a 200 hrs on a boat rated for 115

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Could/will get you a ticket in MO., not sure about Kansas. Stay safe and check with the KDNR first!!!:wink:

3. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    COULD BE A SAFTY ISSUE ALSO, SAW A FLAT BOTTEM BOAT RATED AT 30 WITH A 50 ON IT, THE BOAT WAS SWAMPED WHEN HE TOOK OFF THE MOTOR TORKE IT UP ON IT SIDE AND IT SANK

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    STICK WITH THE RATING!!!! IT IS ILLEGAL IN MOST STATES, AND IS VERY DANGEROUS!!!!`

5. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It will get you a ticket anywhere the cost guard regs are enforced.

It is just a plain bad idea, the rating is on there for a reason, a very good reason. It is not safe, plain and simple.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Difinitely a ticket waiting to happen.

7. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks to everyone for your input

8. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Is it really a ticket, I mean if you win a tournament and you're boat is over powered then you loose. thats the way it should be but if it is against the law then I'm gonna have a talk with my warden cause his boat is definitely overpowered for sure for sure. And wouldn't that kill boat racing. those guy's drag racing bass boats r way oooverrr powered. My boat is rated for 85hp if I had bought it with a steering console it would of been rated fore 115, I put in my own console but only run 50hp with no tilt our trim so I can run shallow. Very shallow.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Its all fun and games until the transom needs a ton of work. I've seen transoms have problems just by switching to 4 stroke motors (much heavier). i wouldn't want to put a bigger motor than the boat is rated for and have the extra stress of more power, let alone the extra weight.