Question About Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfisher43, Jan 28, 2007.

1. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Was at walmart last night checking out some baitcasters.Has anyone used the SKP 2000 Shakespear.They were around 35 bucks fot the reel.Also seen a ABU Garcia 6000 combo for around 60 bucks.Thanks in advance.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Harry I hate to say it but, that is one of the few Shakespear products I would not recommend. I would spend the extra money on the ABU now and save a few bucks in the long run.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    go for Abu Garica or Penn.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    ABU is best for the little extra money. You won't regret it. They are smooth and strong, simple to operate and service. You won't wear it out fishing for catfish-ever.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't waste your money on the shakespear I bought one last year and it binds up bad. I could not reel a fish in on it. Something is too sloopy on the level wind. Mine sits on my desk here as a paper weight. Go for an ABU 6000 you can get them on ebay for about the same price or not much more.

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldn't recommend the skp2000s, but I've used them. I had two, still have one. On one of mine, a little metal counterweight mounted on each side of the spool came loose and caused it to bind. I ended up removing these (they're like thin flat washers), and the reels were ok.

However, if you watch the sales you can pick up reels like ABUs, Pfluegers, for not too much money. Catfish Connection has Hot Deals and Cabela's Bargain Cave. Last two baitcasters I picked up cost about $50 each, but they were $90-$100 reels. Also, ABU sometimes has $15 mail in rebates going.

I don't know about deals on Penn reels, but a lot of guys here highly recommend those also.

Better to pick-up a higher quality reel once, than buy a cheaper one and replace it anyhow.

Shawn

7. Krieger

Krieger New Member

State:
    IL
    Hey man iam not to sure bout the Shakespeare reel but i know for a fact the the Abu combo would be the best buy, because I have 3 Abu reels and two poles and there are all kick ass! so I would go the route.

8. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I appreciate all the responses.I kind of thought that myself.Why not spend 20 more bucks for a great reel.Thx alot everyone.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Hey if your shure its the level wind take it off and keep fishing with it till it breaks, get your money out of it:wink:

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I WOULD SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET THE 6000.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buy the ABU. You cannot go wrong if your decision is between the Shakespear or the Abu Garcia.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get the Abu 6000, I have one and I like my.

13. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    The SKp 2000 is a PIECE OF JUNK. To Be honest. A Tidewater is not much more and it a lot better reel. Or if you really want to step it up get you a Abu Garcia 6500 C3