Question About Power Plant

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catstalker, Feb 13, 2006.

1. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The last two times Iv'e been fishing was at a local power plant and I didn't get a bite either time.The shad are so thick you can scoop them up with a dip net. If you throw a cast net you can get a half five gallon bucket full almost. My question is should I fish up close to the warm water being generated or maybe at a distance. I feel like maybe there is too much bait up close.

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I would think that you should go to where the hot water discharges into the rest of the lake. It usually is a canal that feeds the main lake. Try staying half way down the canal, or fish the end of it where the water is cooler.

Ray

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would do like Ray said, Fish the outer fringes of where the shad are congregated. The fish will be laying in there waiting for some poor shad to wonder to far. Use the shad whole for bait.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fish a bend near the hot water discharge on my lake. It is a 1/4 mile from the canal mouth. There is a break in the current due to underwater structure and the bigger fish seem to stage there. I have had very little luck in the canal or near it, epecially on bigger fish.

Watch for moving water. Some of those canals vary greatly in flow, and when the water is moving the bite is usually better because it forces the baitfish to move.

I have been curious for a long time about the oxygen saturation of the heated water, and I would love to know where it stands by comparison to what fish like.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Fish the shad about a foot of the bottom under a float. You can cover a lot of water this way and hopefully find them. Try both live and dead. With the dead ones fish them whole and slice them open.
    The cats will be waiting for dying/injured shad to come their way. In discharges like that they are used to the food going past in the current and will really hammer it.
    Be ready, hang on...W

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I like setting up at the head of the discharge, when there is good current I'll take a Shad and slice one whole side off leaving the guts and all exposed, cut the tail so that the spine which holds a massive amount of blood will hemorage freely, if Mister Whiskers is anywhere close he will seek out that fresh blood that the current carry's right thru that pack of Shad...........Doc

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Find where the water temp. is in the mid 60's.This is an optimum temp for them and the o2 saturation will be good.Close to the discharge will be too warm for them.
    I fished for years at power plants and found this to be the best indicator to where they will stage.Use a live shad with the tail removed and scaled on one side for best presentation.They will be lazy in this area,so watch your rodtip very carefully.They will suck them up and barely move off location.Waiting too long will be giving them time to spit the bait back out.If you can find a backflow in the area use a float and slightly weighted hook.

BILL:0a26:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Isn't that interesting nosnag. The place downstream I fish from the hot water discharge is usually in the mid 60's when the water is flowing, and that is where I find the fish.

9. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    If you have a boat and echo go over the area to identify the best holding spot, ie gully, hole, old river or canal bed and noting the changes in water temperature (if you echo gives a temp reading) could give indication of the type of structures that make the best ambush points for nailing these shoals of shad (providing they are their staple diet).

There must be a patrol route taken by the different species of catfish both two and from this natural larder of food? sounder info, water temps and depths of water and structures present should give you some clues in finding a hot spot or two.

Tight lines for the next time you fish there

10. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama

Just curios, what was the "normal" water temp outside the discharge?