Question about pond size,

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by moondog58, May 12, 2011.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, how big does a body of water have to be so that it is no longer considered a pond, but a lake or reservoir? I know that here in WV we have some nice size reservoirs, but nothing like the ones down south or out west.

My thinking is this: if there are boat and/or motor restrictions = pond. No boat or motor restrictions = lake or reservoir.

Names mean nothing. I know of at least three so called "lakes" that are nothing more than over grown farm ponds, and I know of one pond that is over 1500 acres.

I learned to fish in ponds, and that where I learned to love to fish. My passion for fishing started with pond fishing. :>

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

3. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    pond = if you can cast to the other side or almost cast to the other side,lake double the first answer lol
    reservoirs/rivers definately big enough for lots of boating spots but not salty enough for an ocean lol = ) i have a pond and i can almost cast to the other side of it but i know there are decent fish in it just trying to outsmart them is the problem lol you could learn a lot from a dummy,but cant learn from fish,they are as mysterious as women at times lol

4. Demented724

Demented724 New Member

State:
    Belle Vernon, P
    if i remember right from back in school, i think i remember them saying its more so based on depth then total area coverd. so if its shallower its a pond. i could be wrong though, i think it was like elementary/middle school when they talked about the difference haha.

5. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    a pond has no water source except rainfall.

a lake has creeks and streams feeding it.