Question about Pinopolis Lock and Tailrace

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kaccat, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Hey guys - coming down the middle of April and usually fish Moultrie - I've heard about the lock and the river below it being a good place to fish in the Spring, but don't know anything about it. Do you go through the lock to get there or drive around? Is the river big enough and deep enough for a pontoon boat? Thanks ...

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You can go through the lock, but it's probably faster to drive around. There is a public landing just below the US52 bridge below the dam. The river is plenty big for pontoons, too.

3. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Tommy - thanks for the info. Still trying to make up my mind about the river - I'm a little nervous about taking my pontoon down there.

4. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    The river must be bigger than you think. It is plenty big for a pontoon.

Jim

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The cooper river tailrace is plenty big enough like everybody says.But the Santee river tailrace behind Wilson dam is very small and shallow.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Keith, the Cooper River is deep and wide. You can actually put in at the Dennis Landing there near US52 and go downstream to Charleston, through the harbor, and all the way to Europe, if you wanted to. LOL You can also go upstream through the lock and motor through both lakes. Lots of folks use pontoons in the cooper river, but at high tide, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the river and the old rice fields in a couple of areas if you don't pay attention, or have a chart. Hope you enjoy your trip, friend.

7. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Thanks for all the help on this - I think we'll give it a try. Are the cats coming up the river to spawn at this time of year?

8. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard from quite a few people that there's a sanctuary area near or at the tailrace. Be sure to find out where it is before you go or it could be a very expensive trip.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Keith, I'm not really familiar with the cooper as far as catfishing, but a lot of cats follow shad and herring this time of year up to the dam. There are signs to alert you how close you can go to the dam (~100yds). There is a railroad trestle a little farther below the dam, and you aren't allowed past that point from dusk to dawn. They have been running turbines in the mornings lately, but I was told today that they are going to start running in the afternoons soon. The current affects the fishing.
    As for spawning, I think most spawning would likely be done several miles downstream in the shallow rice fields, but again, I don't have much experience there. I do plan to do some fishing in there within the next couple of weeks, though. There's a Holiday Inn Express in Moncks Corner. Think I'll stay there at least one night before I go fishing. ;)