question about piedmont lake and muskies.......

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by brandonbtbt, Jun 10, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    first of all i know piedmont has a lot of muskies in it..... about 3 nights ago my brother had a run for about a second so fast you couldn't even distinguish clicks... i think a muskie snagged his bluegill and took off like a bat out of hell since flatheads seem to be slow and lazy..... what do you all think?!?!?

ALSO.... i spent my winter unemployed so i though about fishing for musky this spring/summer... subsequently i bought a ton of gear and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to find musky @ piedmont.... ive been fishing the damn with a bucktail from the shore with no luck and i'd love to catch my first musky soon!

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    flats are anything but slow and lazy,and they can run a clicker like that.it coulda been that something swam into the line sideways,have had that happen,and when the line hits it,it goes crazy too.but,it sure makes ya jump when it does that though,feels like your heart is gonna come out of your chest

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

I've also been wanting to get into some Musky this year, Ceasers Creek also holds a pretty good load of em.

I've never caught one, but I have been doing a little reading up on 'em, so this advice is probably gonna be worth exactly what ya paid for it........:wink:

From what I gather, it's going to take a little more action than a jig is capable of producing to get a musky to strike.

Big spoons, big spinner baits, big buzz baits, and big crankbaits with rattles fished with a moderate to fast retrieve are all touted as being solid Musky producers... basically the more noise your lure can make, the better

You'll want to search out some deep structure, much the same as if you were going for flathead, you might also wanna check out some famous bass hideouts like big patches of cattails, lilly pads and other submerged vegetation.... the bigger fish are most likely going to be found holding in deeper water.

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Flatheads AND Channels will move VERY fast at times so that run could have been either. It's possible it could have been a Musky as well. Though i've seen/had a few Musky runs on gills and the usual result is that when you reel in your bait you'll find it severed in half.

5. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    i guess it makes since since his bait wasn't destroyed... that run did make all of us about shit ourselves cause whatever hit it took off about 100MPH... whenever i feel like something swam into my line i blame it on a dumbass carp lol

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Musky fishing is a lot like flathead fishing--you have got to be very patient. Maybe even more patient so don't be discouraged if you don't catch anything for a while. If your restricted to the shore I think I would fish live bait with one rod and cast with the other. Big suckers work great or any other large baitfish. Piedmont has huge muskies in it. About 15 years ago I saw a 51incher caught and several high 40s just before a bad thunderstorm by boats trolling around the dam area. Blew my mind. If you've got a boat troll, troll, and keep trolling. Fast, up to 5 maybe even 6 mph in warm months. slower in spring and fall. Those big boys were caught in late august if I remember right. Hope this helps.

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I love fishing at piedmont, there are big fish of all species in that lake. If your bait didn't show teeth marks it wasn't a musky.

8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i thought about musky before but thats it. i've read a few differant times that it sometimes takes years for someone to catch thier first good musky. that discouraged me. i'll stick to bass and cat. good luck man, shane

9. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I talked to a guy that caught 14 muskies last week at Piedmont, so the musky fishing seems to be good at piedmont. Now catfishing at Piedmont is another story. I went to a tournament there on Saturday. We had 10 poles in the water with everything from gills to big chubs and suckers. Not one good run all night. As for the tournament, they combine the weight your 2 largest fish. First place was 6.6 lbs for 2 fish. This is just pathetic, and there were close to 50 people signed up. These monthy tournaments have been like that for the last couple of years - very few fish and the ones that are caught are pathetically small. I have grown to really be down on Piedmont as a catfishing lake.

10. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH

we were there saturday night with 3 ppl and 12 jugs and we didnt get anything (we wasnt in the tournament) over the last week i was there 6 out of the 7 days and caught at least 2 channels/flatheads each time.. as a matter of fact i got a channel and my buddy got a flathead and my brother has a good jerk tonight fishing the lake so i still think its good there

11. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess I'm comparing Piedmont to the lake I fish at most frequently (Seneca) and the catfish action does not even begin to compare for me. I would be disgusted if I only caught 2 fish a night at Seneca, but at Piedmont, I would be happy with a good run. Something is wrong when 50 people are out fishing and the biggest fish weighed in is 4 lbs, and this is at every tournament for the past 3 years.

12. redline65

redline65 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We fished Piedmont last year. Six mile run and the dam. Caught one descent fish in 2 days. I think in total we caught 4 fish. It was some what discouraging but I guess for a body of water where there is such a large predator as a musky it will kill off alot of fish.

13. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    just remember.Its the fish of a thousand casts.It takes time and patience.Or a piece of plastic you rent get a guide with!!!! lol.

14. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Not to mention .cats are a fish of a thousand casts for me sometimes too.Im starting to see a pattern.!!!!

15. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I HAVE SPENT OVER TEN YEARS FISHING THAT LAKE. AND THE BIGGEST FISH I HAD WAS A 7LB CARP. IHAVE WATCHED GUYS UT 40 HRS OVE TROLLING A WEEK AND END UP WITH 2 NICE SIZE MUSK. AND THE CAT POPULATION IS WAY DOWN FROM WHAT IT USED TO BE.
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYONE RESTOCKED IT???

16. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH
    My parents live in one of the boat clubs, Akron Boat Club to be exact. Now i'm 21, and i lived with my parents for 18 years. I won't say i was a HUGE fisher, but i'd go down atleast 1-2 times a week out on the dock. And i swear the biggest fish i caught was a bluegill. Well a bluegill and i'm assuming it was a carp who ripped him in half (Carp/cat) this was a few years ago.

Not to thread hijack, but imo piedmont isn't a great place to fish, well ABC bay anyway.

p.s I did have a neighbor who used to fish everyday in the corner by the dam. On piedmont side, where the lillies spawn. He caught two very good size musky.

end childhood memory

17. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    But next time you go to the lake, stop by the Marina and see if they still have that mount of the musky over the little choke and puke snack bar. Used to have the Ohio State Record there. 55lbs. 2ozs. Rumor has it an old man recovering from a heart attack caught it while crappie fishing with minnows and bobber one spring. It's a heck of a fish to see. Can't remember how long it was. Biggest musky I've ever seen anyhow.

18. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    piedmont is a good lake for muskie,filled my pan with nice gills and crappie on many a day,good large/smallmouth bass lake.
    when it comes to cats though-ive hit it hard year after year with few results.average size channels-no flats for me.
    If i had every gill and rock bass back that i drowned in that lake,fishing for flathead---id be feedin the family fish for the fourth.lol!!!!
    same with clendenning-they are in there-maybe even record class-bait shop pics and the record books tell the story for me.
    head further south-ohio/musk rivers-seneca-salt fork for easier catchin.
    all that being said,flatheads in lakes are elusive characters that are prolly way more night oriented than flats in rivers.i suspect they are a bit more sensitive to noise,vibration,lights and such too.
    in lakes bait fish roam freely from place to pace making ambush essential for flats----in rivers,baitfish are more predictable for predators which make predators more available to anglers.
    the best piece of advice from me in lakes is dont throw er out in the middle of the lake,the big boy's are never to far from cover.

19. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I have never done well fishing piedmont for flatheads,however I have had a couple of amazing days catching channels there. The thing is its always really spotty at piedmont. I mean a couple time a year I will just tear up the channels and the rest of the times I go there its like they have all vanished form the lake !:eek:oooh:

I have caught a couple of muskies there, and I saw a huge muskie tear apart a gosling ! It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen ! It was like a shark ripping into a seal !

I know one thing piedmont does have some nice muskies in it. I mean its ranked as one of the top 10 muskie lakes in the country.

As for Tips,
    If your on a boat muskie fishing ,my tip would be this.
    If you raise one and he follows right up to the boat don't take the lure out of the water. When the lure gets almost to the boat put the tip of your rod down in the water and walk it down the side of the boat. I caught both of mine doing that. My drafting teacher in high school taught me that. Him and his wife were both world ranked in the top 5 for fishing muskie and he showed me that trick.

Matt AKA DESODE

20. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH
    I know it's a long shot, but i was strolling the internet for top 10 musky lakes in ohio and saw this

4/5/98 Matt caught a 49.5" muskie trolling a Bagley Monster Shad

then i saw your final sentence "Matt aka Desode". It's worth a try to see if thats really you or not.

http://home.fuse.net/rockyfmh/muskiewatersinohio.htm
    I'm in the piedmont section