Question about Pennsylvania Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, May 7, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The state record is 43 lbs 9 oz caught in 1985. Have seen most the pics of 50, 60, aand 70 lb flatheads on the internet. So why is it so difficult to beat that record??? Do they not get big in PA???? Do people eat em??? Has any of you guys heard of bigger fish that never got weighed???? I have seen 35lbers here in the Schuykill, there must be bigger fish somewhere maybe not here in eastern PA but in western PA?????

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Blacky - The record is gonna be broken this year! There are many excellent Flathead catchers on here. Just a matter of time! There have been fish larger than the record caught but if the individual doesn't go through the proper steps to have it certified than the old record still stands. There was a 46# Flathead caught last summer on the Allegheny River at Lock #4 but the guy who caught it released it without having it officially weighed so It didn't count. There out there and I think one of our B.O.C. Brothers is gonna get it! I know I will be trying!

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    there is deffinetly bigger fish there its just a matter of time before someone gets it have caught numerous fish over thirty pound with my biggest at 40 pounds. I will be trying hard this year I put a lot of time into this each year last year was kinda of slow i had an accident and couldnt fish alot been out 4 times the last week have been catching numerous fish with the biggest at thirty pounds. With the information on this site its an essential how to catch big fish, But the most important thing is time on the water.The river i fish the mon river has really gotten good over the past decade ive heard stories that flatheads were not in the water years back the rivers around here have cleaned up real well so it is a mater of time.

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are really bigger fish than 43lbs 9 ounces in the river. I just think that there is so much food in the river and they are only in certain locations that are are hard to catch. but I do think that the record will be broken this year.

5. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good book I saw on Ebay about flatheads.

6. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Any flathead over 40 is huge.

7. 4wdfisher

4wdfisher New Member

State:
    Tx
    Southern states have longer growing seasons so they usually grow bigger in southern states - same thing for bass.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I cant believe the PA record is only 43lbs, espcially ith the Ohio, and the Alleghaney Rivers running through there, i bet that will get broke real soon

9. CATRIPPER

CATRIPPER New Member

I have hooked several big flatheads,the biggest was 25 pounds.I fish mainly on the Mon and have lost a lot of big flatties that snapped 25 pound test or ran me into snags.I believe you tip the odds in your favor by always fishing from a boat,they say the record will fall every year,they are out there.