Question about Penn 209LC

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kitsinni, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a Penn 209LC the other day and have not used it yet. I noticed when I was playing with it that if the reel is in free spool and you turn the handle it won't engage the spool. Is this by design or is there a problem with my reel? If you manually engage the reel by flipping the lever it works fine. It won't really make much difference for what I will use it for but I would like to know if this was by design or not.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My regular 209 is the same way.
    My buddies is the same too.

So that's three that work like that.
    I guess that's just how the Penn is designed.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok well that is good to know. Thanks!

I use them for drift fishing anyway so it won't really matter. I don't like to drag baits drifting so I use line counters to know exactly where my bait is. It works great especially when the river changes depths a lot.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Won't your finder pick up your bait?
    I know the HDS7's do, pretty neat to see actually.
    Even better when you see an arch moving upwards towards the bait. :smile2:
    Either way, let me know how the LC treats you. I came real close to buying a 7000i with an LC.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have the cheapest lowrance made I think they would be around $50 new if they sold them without a boat package. It is good for picking out depth and that is about it. I do all my fishing the old fashion way and just use the finder as a depth finder. I will probably get a HDS7 early next year though.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You have purchased the work horse reel of choice. The Penn 209 has to be manually engaged by flipping the lever. Great reels.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for posting the question. I am learning about bait reels and noticed that they work in different ways...interesting

8. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I think you'll find that only "true" baitcasters engage when one turns the handle (like an Abu Revo). Otherwise, on star-drag conventionals, they all have a free spool lever. On lever drag conventionals (like a Penn International), one slides the drag handle forward to the desired setting to begin a retrieve. For example, the Abu 7000C3 will engage when the handle is turned, but the 7000iHSN has a free spool lever.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    dont be like me and forget to engage...feel like a real dumba%$ when you set teh hook on the badboy thats been taking your line across the lake and you hear zrrrrrrr ZRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !! backlash and snap the line:smile2::confused2::sad2: