Question about Penn 209 levelwind~

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishjohn, May 2, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I know a guy that has 6(maybe more-maybe less by now) Penn Levelwind 209's for sale. They are $35 apiece and $40 if he puts in a new updated drag. They are guaranteed or $ back,he pays shipping(if you return). Its $8 shipping and a good discount if you buy more than one.
    Is this a pretty good deal for used but in good condition,new drags and a good guarantee?
    If so,I think I may have to sell one of my 6000c combos to snatch it up...:big_smile:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Also,I usually use Abu 6500's and 6000's. How much of a difference other than the Penn 209 holds 250 yards of 30# mono? Is it a whole lot bigger,harder to cast or what???

PS-Ran out of time to edit...Sorry!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here is a pic of it.Not sure if exact one but will ask....

Model2092007.jpg

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I don't think that is too bad of a deal, I just bought a new Penn 209 the other day for $60, but from what I am hearing, the new Penn's aren't near as good as the old ones. I have some older ones, and the have functioned flawlessly. I'm not sure on the size compared to the Abu's. They cast a pretty good distance, and will hog in a 50lber no problem.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks,I appreciate it. I think they are used but thoroughly cleaned went over very well and new drags. You can't beat the warranty either! Soon as I get the cash I'm gonna pick me one or two up for sure!

6. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I think thats a pretty good deal. I buy them off E-Bay for $20-$30 and you don't get any guarantee.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The 209 is a true work horser of a reel , we wont even get into the which is better discussion thats fruitless . the 6500,s and 6000,s are faster but if you need one reel that you can call to duty when all hell breaks loose then to sell one 6000 to buy a 209 is alright in my book , But if your not familiar with casting these reels you will need practice . A few pointers to help , they do not cast light weight well , thumb the spool not the line , using heavier line also helps the process of learning these great reels . These are a few things i was told when i started familiarizing my self to my first 209 . Hope this helps some , enjoy your reel you should'nt be disapointed .

8. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    My last Penn 209 was 21 dollars off of Ebay but that is not reworked or with a warrantee so I would say it is a good deal. I personally think that the 209 is not that hard to cast. I love mine. I used open faced reels for years till I decided to try a Penn. I still use the open faced reels but I always have my Penns ready to go.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use both Penn and Abu.The 209 won't cast as smooth and will be harder to keep from backlashing than your 6000.I can cast 3/8 oz. lures with my 5000 but it takes at least 3/4 oz. for the 209 to cast any good.The 209 is about two times the weight as your 6000 or at least seems heavier.I use the Penn's for all bait fishing in both fresh and salt water.The gearing in the Penn's is much slower than the Abu's but good to have the slower gear when reeling in a big one.If we ever get together at the river I will bring an extra 209 or 309 and let you try and see how you like it.
    Jake

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That seems like a good price, but it wont cast as good as a Abu.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats ok,i've been hearing that. I plan on putting it on a 7-7 1/2 ugly stick or similar. I'll use my 6500's on 9' poles to do my far casting. I figured that was a good warranty-$ back no questions asked! It seems like a winch-perfect for some spots i've had my eye on.
    Thanks Buddy!!!

12. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey john hows it going i see you have a minimal concern with casting distance , but ask your self this , how far do i really need to cast ? now i dont know if you're shore bound or not but so you can still get plenty of distanse out of a smooth running 209 . If youre in a boat and you are not that good at casting get closer . But if its any help see the thread "something i learned" in this section . Hopefully one way or the other this will help . As far as the 209 itself it was built for battle just look at its history .

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, if that guy's name happens to be Jim, and who I think it could be, you can trust him 100%, from my experience. I have a couple of 209's and 9M's and I love all of them. The 209 isn't as smooth as the abu's, but it isn't designed to do the same job, either. After you learn how to cast the Penn's they will cast a loooonnng way. Trust me. I have the abu's too, and certainly don't mean to put them down, 'cause I love 'em, also. I'd hate to see you sell your 6000 to buy the Penns, but for the really big fish, I prefer the Penn for the low gearing and the teflon drag washers.
    Depending on how you fish, and what size you go for, you'll have to make the choice. Good Luck...:confused2: