Question About Open Bail Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Guns & Cockpits, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I've been reading over and over again that you should fish catfish with an open bail so the bait doesn't resist and spook them. I can see this being a very good plan if you're in standing water or water with little current.

However, I fish on the Colorado River, and the current is pretty darned strong. I would have to weight that sucker down pretty heavily to be able to fish with an open bail, and even then I'm not so sure how well it would work.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations on the best way to fish these waters so as to maximize my fish catching and minimize my fish losing? Much appreciated!

2. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I've never tried to keep the bail open even in still water -- how can I "tightline" if there's no tension? I usually keep my drag balanced so that if there's enough drag to keep the line taut and steady in current, but loose enough that a fish can take the bait and run. I've been told that for a big kitty, tension doesn't matter as long as it's steady -- plus the sound of the dog clicking when the drag is operating is a beautiful thing. :big_smile:

If it's time to set the hook (kahle or similar) then I use my palm as a "brake" against the spool and then set it -- for a circle hook, I just ratchet down the drag as fast as possible and let the rod load up.