Question about my unBROKEN Ugly Stik...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by veryama1975, Feb 8, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi,

Last night I bought an 8ft Ugly Stik 15-30lb cat rod. I have an Abu 6000 baitcaster. My question is how should I be casting with it?

I bought a 5.5ft Cherrywood 10-20lb rod for smaller cats & shorter casts several days ago that I can cast one-handed with. I have been practicing a lot with it. I am pretty happy with my progress with the shorter rod. I'm getting more accurate & backlashing less.

The way I am casting with the one-handed rod is:

(1) point rod at target with axis of spool straight up & down; in my case this means the reel handle points at the ground (I'm a lefty)

(2)take the rod straight up over my head/shoulder so that it "whips" back & then forward

(3)on the forward "whip" release thumb; also, make sure that the spool axis is still straight up & down & handle points at ground

(4)"feather" spool to get a backlash free landing of weight

The way I am casting with my 8ft Ugly Stik is essentially the same except that I use two hands. My left hand is thumbing the spool while my right holds the handle several inches below the reel. I still take the rod over my left shoulder, whip, & then release.

Here's my question:

Is this the best way to learn how to cast a rod two-handed? I think I'm improving at casting with the longer rod but I don't want to spend a long time developing bad habits if this isn't the best way.

Thanks for any & all help!

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IF IT WORKS FOR YOU THEN ITS RIGHT:wink:

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    It should be easier for you to cast with a little longer rod? It was for me anyways. shouldn't have to whip it real hard to cast that will cause your backlash problem.

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Practice,Practice, Practice! You will get it. From the sound of it, I believe you are doing just fine.

5. Billbo

Billbo New Member

State:
    Andalusia,IL
    I have 2 7 foot uglys with 6500s and 2 8 ft berkley glowsticks with abu 7000s and use the 2 hands for both for better leverage but I have always been told to adjust the free spool tension by sinker weight if u hold ur pole out set the tension so that the line comes out 4 2 8 inches with a nice little wrist pop. this works great 4 all my rigs
    good luck and do'nt give up it's worth figurine out :big_smile:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the best way for you to cast it is whatever is most comfortable and as long as you get a back lash, then go with it. i tend to "lob" mine more since my bait likes to fly off if i whip it. as long as your tension is set right then you should have no trouble "lobbing" it. when i say "lob" i mean i bring the rod back over my shoulder and cast it forward slowly, accelerating a little as i come forward releasing the spool at about a 45 degree angle over the water and following through until my rod is pointed at where i want my bait to be. its not the most extravagant way to cast, but your bait stays on and you dont sling it off near as bad.

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    When fishing with a bait that will come off the hook, I tend to lob like sgt.fish, the only tip I could give you for casting is remember to use your wrist! You can get more distance using your wrist than using your arm. Of course you can get even more distance if you use both...:roll_eyes: