Question about movement of Flathead

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by raiderhawk, Aug 18, 2009.

1. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello,

I fish a medium sized river with both flats and channels, and maybe a few blues. The place that I fish is a sandbar about 100 yards away from a wing dam and a regular dam. I just started fishing for cats and have only caught channels. I think that it is fairly shallow on the flat with the only deep holes being around the dam, I was wondering if this would be a place that flatties would roam to at night looking for food. There is not really any structure around the flat besides the dams, and a few rocks. There are a lot of little minnows that fill up the sandbar at night and I have had some luck with channels. Also, if there are a lot of turtles in a spot does that mean there won't be a lot of catfish? Thanks from a newbie just learning.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most likely the catfish will be there.. the turtles may try to strip the bait more, but yes flatheads will hang near the dams at night. Especially more so around the bar after them minnas.:wink:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    just search every and anything that mite block current. you will find a flatie or two.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d fish the deep holes around the dam.On the sandbar,you,d have to get lucky and catch a fish on the move.:wink:

5. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you wouldnt by chance be fishing around the ottumwa area? sounds kinda like the area I fish sometimes?

6. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Sandbars can be especially good spots in one of the two following scenarios:

1. The sandbar is close to the main river channel and/or deeper water and runs parallel to the river (has water on both sides and runs WITH the river directionally). Flatheads will use the sandbar as a guide path from the deeper water to the shallower feeding areas/flats. They'll run along side it directionally much as they do with a downed tree/log . It's a flathead freeway so to speak.

2. The sandbar runs perpendicular to the river and has cover on either side.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It sounds like the example from the last post...kind of like a highway from or to the dam. I have tried the dam and did not even get a bite maybe just a bad day. I have noticed that I catch a lot more fish there when the river is up, and not many when it is down. I think there are probably flatheads around, but I need to be more patient. I seem to get all of my fish on cutbaits, maybe I will just have to be more patient with a big gill or chub. THanks guys!