Question about Liver

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ggoytia, May 29, 2007.

1. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    When you cure liver why exactly would you want to do this other than to toughen the meat? I was under the impression that cats go for the blood scent that might be the reason for the garlic??? Does the curing the liver also mean there is no refrigeration is needed?

I did try the garlic with the addition of Cayanne on fresh liver and it outperformed the regular liver 5 to 1.

Once again sorry for the dumb questions.

I was reading from the link below:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38820

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    1. Welcome to the BOC!
    2. No such thing as a dumb question. (Ive tried alot)
    3. The garlic helps to attract the cats
    4. It also "toughens" up the liver, so it stays on the hook better.
    5. Refrigeration (imo) is a must. That liver will spoil and become unaffective.

3. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    How long do Ya'll usually cure your livers?? Also what is the best hook to use with the cured livers?

Thanks for the info!,
    Drew

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i do it for 2 hot sunny days, hard to come by this year!!

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    2hot days on waxpaper, and dont refridge. the smell is what the kitties like

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't forget the salt! And don't forget that it MUST be NON-iodized. We've had enough brothers have poor or no success using regular iodized salt to feel pretty positive that it's a no-no. I've tried livers cured with garlic powder and ones cured with anise side by side, and couldn't tell the difference in bites. But they both had salt. My theory is that blood is salty, so the cats home in on the salt taste. While I don't refrigerate the livers while out on a fishing trip, between trips I keep them in a ziploc bag, inside a plastic coffee can, in my bait fridge. They'll last almost indefinitely that way.

Question to anyone who has used brown sugar curing the livers. Did you use salt, or just the sugar?

7. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have great success with garlic salt and cureing with a jerky dryer. Usually takes a couple of days to make and is alot cleaner to me than setting it outside where the flys can get to it.

8. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Thank you for the info. Note to self buy a small fridge to keep bait. Got an earful today because a couple of crawlers made it out of my little bucket
    hahahahahha:lol: The wife did not find it to funny!

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The guy that made that thread you were reading does not know what he is talking about. lol

I dont cure until leather tough, just gizzard tough I guess is a good way to describe it. Tough enough to stay on the hook but still a little flexible. If you dry out too long it can become brittle.

Good luck with it buddy.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to cure mine till it was the consistency of well done steak, but after seeing others cure theirs till it was hard, and seeing them have just as much success with their liver as I do with mine, I've started curing mine till it's kind of hard, on the basis that the harder you cure it, the longer it will keep. Either way, it quickly absorbs water and softens up when you put it in the water.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ive never cured liver. maybe i should try. ive had success with it right outta the package. if im havin trouble keepin it hooked, i use a treble hook and some pantyhose:roll_eyes:. does it really make the bite better if you cure it??

12. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have noticed a difference between straight out of the package to cureing. I guess it could be the garlic salt helping out. Also it stays on twice as long.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well then i will definitley give her a try!

14. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Will be drying some this weekend. Anyone else ever try cayanne pepper as a additional seasoning?

15. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I cure the liver with garlic and salt. It works great for were I fish and has upped my catch rate by over 50%.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shane, as soon as you use the word ALWAYS when referring to fish, fishing, or success with a bait, you're wrong. Curing chicken liver seems to work at least as well, if not better than fresh liver most of the time, but I've seen times when the cats wouldn't touch it. I've also seen times when the cats preferred fresh liver to cured, and times when they wouldn't touch it. IMO, though, both are backup baits, to be used when you can't get fresh shad or skipjack, or when the cats won't hit that. Since fresh liver needs to be fresh, it doesn't make sense to buy liver for a trip when I probably won't even give it a try; cured liver can be taken out on a trip, not used, and returned to the fridge when you get back home. Over and over.

17. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    can someone please tell me how to cure the liver i think i wanna try it i use it right out of the store now which means i can't sling very far.

please help

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Click on this thread buddy. This is one way of doing it.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38820

19. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    How would you fellas say liver compares to worms, shrimp or cut bait(mooneyes/goldeyes)?