Question about line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Scott Daw, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ok,

I'll be heading off later this month to bass pro shops to spend a gift card I got and I want to get a big spool of line for my 3 spinning rods. but Im not sure which gives you more line for the money. Heres my choices

Stren 1000 yrd spool in 10 lbs test

or

Berkley Big Game 1/4 lb spool in 10 lb test

So which gives me more yardage? and which would be better for my spinning gear? I fish for channel cats and trout with the same gear.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The 1/4 lb spool of 10# Big Game has 1,500 yrds.....not sure which is best on spinning because I use baitcasters.:wink:

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Personally Would Buy The Berkley Big Game.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For 10 lb test, go with Trilene XT if they have it, or Stren. I don't care for Big Game in less than 12 lb test. Right now, I've got 10 lb big game on my Shimano Sedona and its just too stiff. Unfortunately, I bought a 1/4 lb spool and have only filled the reel once. Another good brand is Ande. The Backcountry Ande is a good one that's inexpensive. Also, Bass Pro's house brand is o.k., not my favorite, but its good. Its made by Suffix, or at least to Suffix's specs in China, like everything else. Suffix is also a good brand of line.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Forgot to add, especially since you apparently use the same reels for trout and channels, the Trilene, Stren, and Ande are going to work much better with small baits and lures.

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Personally I'd go with the Trilene XT in the 10-12 Lb range. More of a multipurpose line in this range. Seems to peel off the spinning reels better and the smaller bait casters. Any thing over that BIG GAME all the way. Thanks for asking the question. Love to know what others think on this.
    :boss: ​

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know which holds more line, but it will be printed on the spool.

As for which is better line, they are both good. Stren original is tough as heck, but has a lot of stretch. Some people don't like that. I use stren on my little spinning rods (4 and 6 pound test). Big game is real good tough stuff, too, but tends to be a little bit stiffer than Stren (not bad stiff, though). I have all of my baitcasters filled with Big Game.

BTW - I posted this before reading the others' posts. (This is an edit.) Seems like we are pretty much in agreement, I guess. Good to know.

8. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Trilene XT or Trilene XL in 10# are both good line for spinning reels.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott I like trilene Big Game or XT. Trilene is a good strong and long lasting line. One you can depend on. In the long run it will be the cheepest. If you are concerned about stffiness or line memory I would suggest that you purchase a can/bottle of reel magic.:0a24: This will take care of the memory problem and can be used on other equip.Bass Pro also carries this.:0a26:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I was going to say Stren DuraTuf. Then you had to go ahead and mention that you trout fish also with your heavy cat rods. Only size line I use when trout fishing is 4lb. So maybe Trilene XL it's limber for your trout fishing and it comes in 10lb for your cats. How about you maybe think about picking up a light rod for trout with that gift money instead of thinking of fishing line. Trout are a lot more line sensitive then them catfish are.........

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Good advice on the light trout rod.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use a medium action spinning rod thats not to stiff but not flimsy. I have a medium heavy rod I have some spider wire on now. thats my biggin rod. always baited for the larger fish, big cat, striper, anything with teeth. my other rods are are used for regular fishing, cats, trout even crappie. I dont fuss much.

13. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Those must be some big trout from lake Erie or somewhere. We use Berkley vanish in 4 lb test for trout. You will get 5 times the bites as you would with 10 lb line. Sufix seige 10 lb test is awesome, strong and resistant to abrasion. We often just use sufix elite 8 lb for channel cats. Same for 30 lb carp, 5 lb bass, 6 lb pickeral...
    :cool2:
    Dave Worden

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Triline XL or Stren Original is a good choice. both lines are great.