Question about Lake Tillery

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by McDreamy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    does any one know if there is access to the dam at the top side of tillery for bank fishermen if so how do i gety there from hwy 52

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    marrow mountain state park. be prepared to walk a mile up river. check the park hours too. should be a web page for them somehwere. dont think you can get right behind it though but within a couple hundred yards. i stop walking the day i was there but you might be able to make it. i dont know for sure.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    You can walk all the way up to the dam, but tha last little bit is a chore though and it is about a mile up there. This is from Morrow Mountain State Park. check hours, because they will shut the gate on you.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you could park at falls dam parking lot and walk the mountain side down to the dam i think. never walked it before but it would be just as close. there is a road that runs down to the upper side of the dam. dont know what it would be like getting to lower side of the dam though. still a long walk.

5. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can go to Falls and walk a long way to the dam or go through Morrow mtn and on both waters use the canoe portages. Either way it will be a long walk. Be sure if you use Morrow mtn check to see what time they close the gates or you will be locked in for the night!

6. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know a tackle shop owner who has fished up there for decades in a boat. He said the place to fish behind the dam is not the Morrow Mountain side so you would need to get to the other side somehow. The guy that I know probably knows about as much as anybody about the upper end of Tillery so I consider him to be a very reliable souce of info.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well if that be the case you better get out your hiking shoes sure enough. really i dont think you can stand on the bank on that side right behind the dam. best i remember that looks like a falling cliff. i think you could cast out your line and see it hit the side of the mountain before it hit the water.:smile2: i really dont know but sounds like something fun to watch.:wink:

8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    If you hike to the powerhouse on the stanly county side there is a huge rock you can climb out on and throw a cast net. I can't say about now but alot of times bait can be had by throwing right around that rock. Getting there in a boat is treacherous with the big motor without knowing the " S" curve path so most people won't go in there for bait. But it holds bait just like all the other dams most of the year.
    From 52 take 740 N to alcoa in badin and make a left follow the brown signs. You'll make a quick right and go past the golf course in Badin and that turns into Valley rd. take it to Morrow Mtn. road ( this is from memory so double check it however it is quite direct).

9. kingkat

kingkat New Member

State:
    nc
    Why not go to lilly's bridge is not far from Tillery dam and theres pretty good catfishing.Also you can fish from the old bridge.I've done a lot of fishing there and the catch is pretty good. good luck.

10. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    thanx all for the help