question about kerr lake cats

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfishnz4me, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hoping yall can help me out.. when do the blue cats run up behind the dam at kerr lake to spawn?? i know its in the spring.. bout what time ? thanks..

2. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    i think you are referring to the lake gaston side of the dam.... they will start spawning when the temps come up around 70*, right now its 40* !!
    if youre looking to catch them up behind the dam, the way theyve been pulling water through the dam they should be there and looking for any nice cut bait you throw at them, RIGHT NOW !!!! good luck and screamin clickers

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Usually around May thru June the blues head up to the dam. Your pretty much wasting your time if they aren't generating and the water is rippin. Another thing you need to keep in mind if your fishing from the shore it can be shoulder to shoulder. In a boat go up as your allowed and drift the current down with cutbait. It's a fast drift with the water from them generating but the blues don't mind. There's some good pockets to anchor up between the dam and the steel bridge that produce well. Best to look at where you want to fish when they aren't generating so you can see those prop eating rocks.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Doesn't sound fun to me...fishing or not fishing. Sorry to hear its that crowded. Sounds like the shad/herring run here in Richmond. Do you have 4 generations sitting in lawn chairs with boom boxes drinkin 40's? If not then I'm not fishin in that crowd.:wink:

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I did the Kerr dam spillway thing once, and I won't do it again. Granted, you can catch alot of fish, but I didn't like the atmosphere or the crowd. Yeah, you have to go shoulder to shoulder, if you leave any space, somebody is gonna muscle in. Everybody wants to get as close to the dam as they can. Everybody clears out when the water was running (which is when I caught my only fish go figure), but when the water stops is when everybody shows up and the cats go on a feeding frenzy. There is a number you can call for the dam generation schedule. The guys with the best luck were using slip bobbers and dip bait and casted way out and close to the dam. Don't bottom fish or else you'll lose rig after rig, which is what happened to me. I've since found the James river and I'm not looking back.

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's how it is in a crowd of people fishing...one more reason to have a boat. Sorry to say really, I left today early because I could tell the pier was getting crowded.