Question about jug fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by martomhan, Oct 7, 2007.

1. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have been using the yellow pool noodle toys cut in about 7 inch strips for jug fishing. We use the yellow because they are easier to spot from a distance. My question is, do they have to be white ? I heard they have to be white in Texas. Please help me.:confused2:

2. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I fish them on the Texas side of Toledo Bend. They have to be white. I use white masking tape from Walmart. You can leave a small strip of color. I did and the DNR doesn't say anything.

3. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thank you for the quick reply. Guess I'm off to Walmart to buy some white duck tape.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe I have read some posts from Texan's that they were cited for not having a completely white jug. Wish I could remember when I read that post.

5. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    They have to be all white. The problem is four out of five wardens may not say anything about the jug not being all white but the fifth one will right you a ticket. The regulation reads, ALL White.

6. michael357mag

michael357mag New Member

State:
    texas
    All jugs have to be white in Texas and they have to be tagged with your name and address on them.:cool2:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hi, Mike. Welcome to the B.O.C. Sure seems to be a lot of new hats in this thread. LOL. There is a lot of information on this board to be disseminated. At times it takes most of the day to catch up on what's missed, but with winter coming on, we gotta have something to do... You may want to browse the members library to see if there are any topics which grab your interest. The next few months is time to put some of your ideas to practical use.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is what the regs say for Texas. :0a26: Jugline: For use in FRESH WATER only. A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.
    • May be used to take NONGAME fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.
    • Placement and Location Restrictions: Juglines may not be used in
      • Community Fishing Lakes
      • Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park
      • Lake Bastrop in Bastrop County
      • Bellwood Lake in Smith County
      • Lake Bryan in Brazos County
      • Boerne City Lake in Kendall County
      • Lakes Coffee Mill and Davy Crockett in Fannin County
      • Dixieland Reservoir in Cameron County
      • Gibbons Creek Reservoir in Grimes County
      • North Concho River from O.C. Fisher dam to the Bell Street dam
      • Lake Pflugerville in Travis County
      • South Concho River from Lone Wolf dam to Bell Street dam
      • Tankersley Reservoir in Titus County
    • Tagging and Marking Requirements:
      • Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 30 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
      • For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a white, free-floating device.
      • For commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with an orange, free-floating device.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC also.

10. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for all the answers. It really helped.

11. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you can buy white noodles from walmart better safe than sorry

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I mark over half of the noodle with white duct tape. This way i can say it is a white free floating device that has some yellow on it for visibility.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    James, that makes sense, but remember, you're dealing with the guv'mint, and they don't believe in common sense. I've read posts where Texans got ticketed for exactly what you're doing. If you are using a jug that isn't ALL WHITE, you are subject to get a ticket in Texas. If you think otherwise, I suggest that you e-mail the Texas Fish & Game and get them to send you a reply stating their feelings on the subject. If they do say multicolored jugs are ok, I'd keep a copy of that e-mail with me whenever jugging, just in case I needed to show it to a wildlife officer.