Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

question about hydro jack plates....

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  catfishjon 
#1 ·
does anybody have any preferences on brands?? i may beable to pick up one this year so i want to get all the info i can on them before i go out and get one, and kick myself for not getting a different one....or worse yet, hate myself for getting one in the first place. have you guys heard anything that sticks out about any particular brand...good or bad?? i've been around to a few forums asking a few questions with little success. it's like pulling short and curlies to get any decent info. snobbish bass boat owners :angry: LOL. thanks in advance guys, i'll take any info your brains.....or bottles of beer can offer :smile2:

#2 ·
I have never had a boat with one. I have done the same kind of research myself with little answers. The info I have found out is that most who have them I have talked to do not use them. They find the sweet spot and have not moved it since. Others have told me they could not tell a difference. I have not been impressed enough with the answers to justify going further.

Just what I have heard.

#3 ·
i think it might depend on the type of boat....as far as bass boats go, they are supposed to jump your speed up a few miles per hour, increase hole shot, increase rpms, which is pretty consistant with the posts in the bass boat forums.....but mostly i want to use it in skinny water so i'm not blendin' mud and hittin' stumps. i've seen a number of them out there, CMC, bob's machine, detwieler, some company that makes slidemaster, and a few others....i heard detweiler had issues with the seals on the hydro ram...they may have fixed that recently though....just looking for any more info on the rest....

#5 ·
if your looking at putting it on a fiberglass MAKE SURE your transom is reinforced enough to support it. A buddy of mine just bought a fiberglass with a hydrolic jackplate that had completely splintered the transom in 4 places due to the force. Its got a 150 on it. Talkin to the pros we discovered that the particular boat it was on wasnt designed for the plate and couldnt take the stress of the motor not pushing directly against it squarely. Just my 2 cents but I'd check that as well. were gonna rebuild the transom but the plate is STAYING OFF! rebuilding them is a major undertaking as the boat has to be split to do it properly. good luck!

#6 ·
as far as the extra torque on the transom...yeah, i'll have to look a little more into that, mine looks to be in good shape....and i've seen other boats like mine with it on....so, i'll have look a little further into that....as far as burning up a motor running it shallow....my lower unit has low water pick ups built in on the nose of the prop shaft and i plan on installing a water pressure gauge so i can keep an eye on the motor to make sure it's getting enough water......they are HIGHLY recommended with a jackplate anyway....

#7 ·
I've got an Alumacraft 2072 tunnel with a Bobs Jackplate. Decided to go with a bobs because of 6in travel, with 1 & 1/2in built in, and jack plate speed! It will run the whole 6in travel in like 7 seconds. Thts great for running rivers to get the motor up in a hurry. I'm gonna put a bobs low water pick up on it next to have full range of the jackplate available! Make sure you run a water pressure guage with a hyd jackplate! Different props and compression plates will help withwater control to the intake, but low water pickup is key to getting that motor jacked up sky high!

#8 ·
I've got an Alumacraft 2072 tunnel with a Bobs Jackplate. Decided to go with a bobs because of 6in travel, with 1 & 1/2in built in, and jack plate speed! It will run the whole 6in travel in like 7 seconds. Thts great for running rivers to get the motor up in a hurry. I'm gonna put a bobs low water pick up on it next to have full range of the jackplate available! Make sure you run a water pressure guage with a hyd jackplate! Different props and compression plates will help withwater control to the intake, but low water pickup is key to getting that motor jacked up sky high!
thanks for the post, have you had any issues with your jackplate or have heard of any issues with the bobs?

#9 ·
I have had one on my 1860 Alumn. tunnel hull boat tied to a 50 horse motor for 5 years. I use it all the time and wouldn't be without it. I can cross shallow flats and get to those reds and trout when others have to turn back. I have a water pressure gage and scan it all the time. This gage is a must as far as I am concerened. I have one on my other 2 boats also. So far I have had no problem with my CMC unit. Catfishjon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.