Question about hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bankpoleken, Aug 25, 2005.

1. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    This is my third year running bankpoles. For the past two years and for part of this year I used 5/0 TruTurn hooks and have been quite happy with them. However, this year I had several hooks twisted and straightened by, I assume, fairly big fish. I have caught channels up to 8 lbs and flatheads up to 22 lbs. on these poles. In the middle of this season I re-rigged my lines with 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. The first run after I changed them I caught an 18 lb flathead. The second time out I had three channel cats running fro 1 to 4 lbs. My last three outings, running 20 poles, I have not caught a thing. The first two times I baited with live bluegill and the last time with cut bluegill. I am running 20 poles and the last three times the bait has been taken on 80 to 90 percent of my poles. I am beginning to wonder if I should go back to the TruTurn hooks in a little larger size. What is your opinion of the octopus circle hooks, particularly if they are being used on bankpoles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I've had good luck with them on limblines, but if there are gar in your area (sounds like that MAY be the case), good luck on keeping live or cut fish on your lines! If you really want to find out, wrap the cut bluegill in some pantyhose - if a gar hits it, he'll get his teeth snagged in the fabric. If you run your lines regularly, this should hold 'em long enough. Hope this helps!

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Not real fond of the octopus circles. If you do use them, the best knot for them is the snell knot. This will increase your hookups dramatically. God bless.

4. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Yep, those Octopus/offset eyes are made for snelling - it pulls the shaft inline with the fishing line, which is what you want to happen with any hook. Since the Octopus circles are the only Gammys I can find locally in 6/0 - 8/0 range, I'm making it a priority to learn the snell this winter. My hookup ratio is still high regardless, but I've gut-hooked 2 or 3 fish since I started using them (as a result of the offset eye?). Still, that's a lot fewer guthooks than with J-hooks!

Here's an article from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Comission that does a good job of explaining circle hooks:

http://marinefisheries.org/Regulations/1-03englishregulations.pdf

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I on my bank poles I like to just use reg. 10/0 gama octopus hooks. There sharp and strong. I don't really have that good of luck on circles on bank lines.

6. catfishpena

catfishpena New Member

How do yo tie a snell knot?

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive always had the best luck with kahle hooks myself,i dont miss as many with the kahles then any other type.But everyone has there own preference,if i were you i might experament wiith a few different kinds of hooks until you find one you like.

8. spam

spam New Member

9. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I love those Gamakatsu octopus hooks i went the other night and put 2 6/0 gamas on a leader useing a 4 ounce weight had one fish about take my 9' surf beat rod clean out of my rod holder didnt get him though and i had another one hit hard set the hook he rolled one good time and got off i dont blame the hooks i didnt set the hook good enuff and i am useing weight thats to heavy.But i belive they are the best you could get.JMHO