question about hooks/lures with bass.

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by will21190, Aug 10, 2008.

1. will21190

will21190 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was just wandering what happens to the hooks when a bass breaks your line...Does it ever come out..and has anyone ever caught a bass with another lure in its mouth?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most times the hooks rust away rather quickly ,sometimes the bass can shake the lure off tho.

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    never caught a bass with a lure in its mouth but ive got a few cats with hooks in em

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    As Richard has said the hooks will soon rust away. I have caught several fish with plastic worms still in them.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If you want to see fish with a lot of hooks in their mouth just go for some steelhead, or a trophy trout stream. I'm always taking extra flies out.

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen several bass with rubber worms in them. They cant pass then and will eventually kill the fish i think, a lot of the fish ive caught with worms in them are in really poor health and weigh about half what they should. A few years back my brother come carrying in a bass that just simply enormous, but it only weighed about a couple pounds, when we cut it open it had something that resembled a zara spook in it and you could tell it ahd been there for sometime. The hooks wer gone but the hard plastic body was still completely in tact. I dont know what the fish would have weighed had it been healthy but it was longer and taller than my 7 lber I caught this year.

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    The hooks rust out rather quickly,also the basses stomach acid helps disolve them. Ive caught a few bass with rubber worms hooked in their jaw before,but never with a plug or spinnerbait in them.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Same as others. I've caught many bass with a hook and plastic worm in their jaw but never a lure...never thought about it, a very good and interesting question.