question about having a campfire while fishing . . .

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Mar 6, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    as most catfishermen, i do a significant amount of fishing at night. that being said, there are times that my daughters get cold and i want to have a campfire. we fish mostly the canals in imperial county, and when fishing them i see plenty of evidence of people having campfires. my question is this, is it legal? i have called everyone i can think of in imperial county, and they always defer me to someone else.

i was able to confirm that within calexico city jurisdiction it is illegal (via the calexico fire department), but i was unable to find anyone that knows about imperial count in general. if anyone could give me guidance on this, i would be very appreciative.

thanks,

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    The only thing that I could add to this is that I would check with the staff at the place that I'm going to be fishing or California fish & Game "Every time" before you go out - that why you will know before you make the trip & you will not find out you can't the hard way Buddy.
    :0a23:
    :0a26:

:wink:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you can call the blm office for imperial and ask them. only time you shouldn't be allowed to have one is if it's fire season. i know that certain time of the yr here around yuma, can't even use charcoal in places.
    gary

4. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    that is one group i didn't contact . . . BLM, i should have thought of that. thanks so much.

5. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    just thought i would post a summary of what i found out . . . BLM said they have no issue with it, but i would need to confirm that it is ok with the IID (kinda back to step one). luckily this time when i contacted someone from IID, they referred me to someone that is in the know, per this gentleman's statement "it is perfectly fine to have a campfire, so long as it is under control". i then asked him about what calexico city fire said, and he stated, "it is private property so it is up to the IID what we allow and don't allow. that being said, i am sure if they asked you to put it out, they would not cite you."

from my experience this seems to ring true with what i have seen. i have had a couple of campfires while fishing, and the IID trucks have come by, stopped and waved. each time they would say hello, observed that it was a father with his daughters, an under control campfire with a fire extinguisher within reach.

based on what i have found out, so long as i am in an area that i am allowed to fish, i am safe about the campfire, and have my extinguisher at hand, i don't think i will encounter any problems.

if any of you have experienced anything that contridicts with my above conclusion, please let me know.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'll say it this way. If you keep your fire in a responsible manner... I have never met any law enforcment that would give you a ticket. They'll simply inform you that it is not ok and ask you to put it out. Be polite and you should be ok. Just be safe.

7. Tailgunner

Tailgunner New Member

State:
    CA.
    If it's just warmth you're looking for, the Coleman catalytic heaters work great, especially if used in a ventilated tent. Gary and I have used them outdoors, between our chairs, to keep the chill off.

8. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    it isn't for me . . . it is actually for the kids. for me, i just put on a bunch of layers, add a few beers and all is good (when i am not with the kids that is). my daughters love the campfire for smores and such.

9. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Hell. When me and my buddies used to fish the canals outside Brawley we'd light whole couches on fire that we'd sit on while fishing. Once we were done sitting on the couch that is. We'd move away from the fire if lost ammo started cooking off . No body said anything to us. We'd throw any left over springs in the bed of the truck and that was that.

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    :eek:oooh:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll_eyes:
    gary

12. dhines