Question About Grass Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by festus, Aug 17, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Today a friend of mine fished a pond that I have access to. He caught a 20 1/2 pound grass carp on a piece of bread. We netted it, didn't have it out of the water just long enough to remove the hook and take a picture. The fish went belly up for a while, and we tried desperately to revive it, and we had our doubts about it surviving. It floated around upside down moving its gills, and it finally swam off, but swam all around this 6 acre pond at the top of the water for a couple of hours, and I'm pretty sure it survived.

I have one question, does anyone know if grass carp aren't as hardy as regular carp? I've seen the common carp survive out of water for several minutes and thought they were difficult to kill. This carp was hooked in the mouth and he wasn't harmed by the hook.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

if the fish was 20lbs its deff and old fish, these fish stress wayy more then any other fish. catfish dont really mind the hooks as much as carp, i try not to keep them out of water for londer then a min or so. get them in an get the hook out. all tho carp do swim on the bottom and are almost always on the top of the water gettin air. they have a swim bladder like gar so i believ they rely on havin to surface to.... him goin belly up could be a sign of shock or he needed to be revived before just throwing him back. if you ever get a fish and for some reason hes out of the water longer, grab a bucket full of water and pour it on his head to give him a drink or two. hope i helped

shane

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    yeah ive caught lots of carp in a small local pont, 3-5 pounds, and i killed 2 on accident because it was out of the water for over 60 seconds. set it in water, and it never moved...once. grass carp.

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I worked at a state park in Kentucky for 3 years where a lake was loaded with grass carp. My friend who worked at the boat dock would fish for 'em with bread on slow days to burn up some time. I've seen him catch several monster sized carp and he always had problems keeping 'em alive. He was like you and got 'em back in the water quickly, but they just wouldn't make it. It really didn't matter at this lake however, they were trying to get rid of 'em because of over population, but he sure did kill a lot of them and wasn't even trying to. They're just not very tough I guess.

5. luckydog

luckydog New Member

State:
    texas
    We had a beautiful lake with all kinds of native grass, lilly pads and mill weed. The home owners purchased thousands of grass carp, now the lake is barren. No place for young bass or baby fish to hide. I have caught several of these grass carp. They are great fighters but decimate our lake.

6. festus

festus New Member

Well, this pond the grass carp was caught is 18' to 20' deep depending on rainfall. And it survived. There are 7 of these sterile fish in there and they do their job. There's plenty of nice sized bass in there along with some monster bluegill and channel cats. It's unbelievable how in balance this pond is for having only been stocked one time.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how big a channel cat could get in a pond this size? About 4 acres of water, approx. 20' deep, and the pond is 18 years old.

7. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I have not tried to turn any loose so I don't know if they revive easily or not. But grass carp is good to eat. I work with a guy that takes all I will bring him. He has cooked some and brought to work and shared with us. My only problem is you're eating a big minnow lol. Its the largest fish in the minnow family. My fishing buddies wife goes to a nail salon that is run by vietnamese. They will give her a free manicure and pedicure for them.

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I caught an 18.5lb. fish last Saturday and found that it was Very Hard to get it back to normal afterwards, The fish was out of the water for 5 min. or less and it took us 5 min. more to revive it! The fish just layed there initially and I waded out to force the water to move through it's gills. This went on for seemingly an eternity, but filally it swam off. They are not as Hardy as Common Carp or other species of fish that I have caught. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    a channel could reach 20lbs in that pond given the time as long as there arent 500 more channels in that pond

10. festus

festus New Member

That's what I was thinking, maybe 15 to 20 pounds. Yesterday I hooked one that looked to be about 6 pounds, then it got away from me before it got to the dock. I was fishing for bluegills with a small aberdeen hook, and the hook bent.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    right after catching a grass carp i will be scaling it! those things are better cut bait than regular carp for some reason. i have caught several, and i don't think they are near as tough as a common carp.