Question about graphing fish on the river

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Seth, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've yet to graph anything in the heavy current on the Missouri river. I've ran my graph at Truman and Bagnell when the water was pumping around 50k CFS and had no problems marking fish. Is my graph not setup right or am I just not going over any fish? I've played with the sensitivity between 55-70, but still get about the same screen readings.

It's a Lowrance LCX-17m so I should have plenty of power I would think.

It doesn't have trouble marking all the asians in the slack water behind dikes. :embarassed:

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    If your marking asians Seth, your settings are fine, the Lowrance is a fine piece of equipment… on the Missouri however most fish (blues) will be scattered so it sounds like your not over fish… find the bottom of the channel edge and you’ll see fish there hugging the bottom… you'll see one or two here and there and they will probably be a blue, the kicker on the Mo is finding a spot where they’re concentrated… Ed came along with me Sat at the dollar event and we painted a lot of fish and one spot had a very good concentration where we set up on but the bite was not there, at least with the bait we presented… hang in there, I’m assuming your putting in at the Washington area… check out the bridge pilings, I’ve found good concentrations there this time of year, other wise cruse the channel edge - you’ll find fish just more scattered unless there is something there to concentrate them... oh by the way, Ed and I got poured on... remember I was back under those clouds in your avatar... there was no out running it Saturday.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    My advise to you Seth is whats really helped me out this year....I got sick an tired of trying to "find fish" and not catching any. So I started looking for structure, not paying attention to fish at all, just the bottom and depth. I look for humps and drop offs mostly. Take last Saturday night we were fishing in straight line current anchored in about 30 foot of water, but directly behind the boat about 25 feet was a hump that rose up to about 22 foot and then back down on the other side back to around 30. Never seen a fish anywhere near this area. But, we anchored up on it, through out and got a 31lbs. blue and lost another fish that was way bigger. The week before we motored up river and about 50 foot behind a barge tie off was a hole. the river went from around 25-30 foot and dropped off to almost 40 foot and then back up again. We fished all around that hole both sides, front, and back and caught 2 flatties and a 48lbs. blue. You hear it all the time, "fish structure" but we tend to get used to looking at that graph and expecting to see fish. Go back to the basics and look for the downed trees in front of bridge pilons, drop offs and channels and you'll start catching fish.

4. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I agree with above,
    If see fish just laying on bottom, usually they resting and not feeding.
    Most of time you need live bait to wake them up.:wink:
    Feeding fish are moving around looking for something to eat, live or dead.
    Drop off's are always good spots

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Best post I've seen in a long time. Spot on Mike. You cant always see the kittens on the fish finders. IF its daylight, and no cloud cover, the catfish will usually hold real tight to where they feel safe, COVER! You wont always paint individual fish in these conditions and it pays dividends to just fish structure as Mike stated.

Also, as MJake and the others stated, when the fish are active, you will indeed see them hugging the channel ledges and out moving around. I see the highest numbers of active fish on the sonar when its night time or there is a heavy overcast with a front approaching. Its been my experience that under blue bird conditions you do just what Mike recommended. Anchor, or bump, or drag on structure, and put those baits as close as you can to there little whiskered snouts and let em have it!!!

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Appreciate all the help. I'll give it a try this Friday up around the Bonnots Mill area. Maybe I'll find one of Virgil's big blue's that's about 150 pounds by now. :wink:

7. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Great post, i can honestly say I am person who trys to find fish.....thats probbaly why I havent gotten into them good yet. Once again great info everybody, thats why this place is great, everybodies willingness to help each other out.:big_smile:

Thanks For Everything,

Chad

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Which one of those 4 are you after?:wink:

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Whichever one is the dumbest and would give me the best chance to hook.

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    guess i will just have to go with you and pass on my small amount of knowledge i have been able to absorb from cuz michael jake ryan and bill while I was out with them.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Give me a holler if you wanna go Ed. I'm gonna run by a creek slab and catch some shiners to take along for bait and then hopefully get a few asians to donate themselves for bait as well when I get up there. Gonna try to leave out asap after work so I can run around and try to find some good lookin spots on the graph since I've never really been on that area of the river before.

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yeah I would be game.

give me a call tomorrow when ya can.