Question about gas tanks

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mi11er, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    My buddy and I have been wondering if we are getting gas in the tanks. It says in the manual to leave the relief valves on the plastic 6 gal tanks open. I have always heard to leave them shut when running the motor. Now we think that between rain and some snow that water has gotten in to the gas tanks, making the motor run rough. What do you guys think? Its a 2005 mercury 25 horse.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Could of happened. Why not shake the gasoline up real good and pour some into a old mason fruit jar or such. Let it set and if there is water in the fuel, it will separate. As I said, it could happen, but I'd look for other things first. LOL

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Water can most certainly get in a tank that way. I always close mine off or cover the fill cap when not in use but it has to be open to run.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    this new gas we got will build up water in your tank. the ethanol in the gas

5. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah with this ethanol gas its a good idea to put a water seperator on your boat.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Another dude on here recently had troubles with a rough running motor of 2004 vintage.

Turned out his fuel lines had deteriorated badly from the Ethanol in the gas.

He replaced the bulb and lines. Checked the carbs but they were clean. Motor ran like a raped ape after that.

Just something else to consider.

I leave my vents open all the time but my tanks are concealed out of the weather.

As stated above, vents must be open to run that engine or you'll eventually create a vacuum in your tank and you'll start starving it for gas!