Question about fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey my motor was running great and then yesterday is was loosing power again so I called the mechanic back up and he asked if I had a Metal vs Plastic fuel tank, I told him it was metal and he said that withe the heat we had last week, 100 degrees, that the condensation buidup on the inside of the tank might produce lots of water in the gas. Anyways I pumped out 6 gallons and am putting in fresh today ( after putting in 6 gallons 3 weeks ago of fresh gas) So has anyone ever heard of that happening and would plastic tanks be better then metal just for that reason???

Curiosity has me wondering...

Salmonid

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, we have a plastic one, and ours lost power just like yours. It was running great and going at least 30mph, and then it got to the point where it wouldn't go more then 15 mph, but it would start up easily and stuff.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I can't speak for anyone else, but have had to rev the JD up a few times this summer, due to condensation in a plastic tank, so it appears that any tank does that, unless you allow for it.

Mom said, what were you doing?

I said, Gettin' the water out of the lawn mower, so I can fiinish mowing.

Her yard looks half way done. The main yard is done and the rest is waiting.

I got into it last weekend with my next to the oldest brother, who when I was a teenager, thought he was my part time Dad. I only asked him to weed eat around the sign at Mom's water line, and he got an attitude. I gave him He double L, or hockeysticks, whatever you prefer. I've had it with my blood Brothers and most of my adopted Brothers. What do y'all suggest?

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Keep those tanks as full as possible to help prevent condensation. It's not as big a problem during the summer as it is later when the nights cool down. Also, if you aren't using the motor very often, always add fuel stablizer, such as Stabil. I would be surprised if condensation alone is the culprit, unless the tank has been sitting up for quite a while. If moisture is causing your problem, you should notice the motor not running smoothly, missing, etc.
    Have you run the motor since?

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I put fresh gas in it 4 weeks back, then tried it, still had probs so I took it to a mechanic, he replaced Stator thingy, points, Plugs , condensor and a new coil, it ran great last saturday and last Monday without a hitch, then 5 days later it starts great, but will only run just about 10% of max, any more and its stalls the engine?????? mechanic told me to replace the gas anyways just to make sure, but it should be fine, I did pour out all the old and now have a bigger problem, I bought this fancy Evinrude/Johnson XD-30 motor oitl to add to the gas mix, now its Sunday and the dealers are all closed and nowhere does it tell me how many oz. to put in per gallon ( 50:1 ratio) and I want to test this tonight, he also had me notch up the rich/lean screw a 1/8 of a turn to the rich side to see if it will help.
    Any other ideas what would make it change over 5 days???

Salmonid

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, I would re-post this information and problem in the repair forum. Be sure to let us know what model motor you have, too. It's not you fuel, I'd bet. Could be another coil, or simply readjust the carb. How does it run? Is it skipping, or just won't rev up?
    Provide all the information you can in a new post, and I'm sure some of us will be able to help you.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    If you have a fule bolw under your carb remove it clean it out good & replace. Water can build up in the them and make you motor act just as you stated your did. If there is water in it it should run good after you do that,but may have to do it again after running your motor a while.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    One of the best ways to deal with condesation is putting a water seperator on your boat between the gas tank and the moter.It works just like a fuel filter except it filters water.And the fuel additive that Tommy was talkin about helps too.