Question About Freezing Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by river_rat_42, Apr 1, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me and my fishin' buddies are gettin' ready to start catfishin' the river soon, therefore we are about to start getting bait too. I plan on hitting up some creeks that I know about where i can catch lots of small sunfish and bluegill, along with a good number of creek chubs, shiners, suckers, and really little mud cats. I know that all of these fish make real good baits when it's fresh cut bait, or live bait. But, how do you think that these baits will do if we caught them, put them in a cooler full of ice, took em' home, then vacuum sealed em' in baggies for the freezer. That way we could have them ready to use as cut bait later on. I'm really iffy about puttin' chubs, mud cats, or suckers in the freezer just because these do not seem like they are fish made out for cut bait, therefore I prolly don't need to freeze them at all. But, I would love to hear any of you guys' opinions on how well vacuum packaged baits ( such as the fish I listed earlier) would do in the river. Another thing too, I would also love to hear your opinions on how well this same method would work on shad and skipjack. Any replies will be awesome!!! THANKS FELLAS!!!

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Craig,

As you pointed out, fresh fish work best. However, given that you are going to take care freezing the fish, you should be OK. Just make sure you take just as much as you will need each trip, freezing and refreezing fish will just make it softer and softer each time, and will not have a good consistency to it.

3. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Tom! I think im gonna try it out and see how I do. Any other posts would be great.

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Vacuum packaging is trickey and not worth the effort. It is hard to keep the fluids out of the machine. There are some threads probably in the library that suggest using corn meal to dry things up for vacuum sealing. We freeze brem and gills and they work good. Shad work if frozen fairly quickly. on a scale of ten I would rate them a five. For overnight I would rather just keep them on ice. We just put them in a freezer bag with a little water and lay them in an aluminum baking pan. That makes the side flat after freezing they can be stacked in the freezer better.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i vacuum seal all my shad and cut carp. the fluids getting in the machine is an easy problem to fix.
    you can do two things. you can take those blood pads like what comes under your steak and put that under the baitfish. my preferred method is to roll up a napkin or two and put it near the opening of the bag. then when the vacuum sealer starts sucking the juice toward the top, the napkin absorbs it and you still get a good seal. shad this way work like fresh caught, as long as they are fresh when you freeze em. the key to this is thawing them cold, and keeping them cold while fishing.
    my cut carp recipe has stayed fresh two years like this. i put cooking oil in with it to create a better scent trail, and with the napkin i still get a good seal.
    hope this helps