Question about Flies bothering my Dogs Extremely Bad!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Jun 19, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Every year I have a major problem with flies getting all over my dogs and biting them to the point to where they bleed from some of them. Last year we bought some kind of gel to keep the flies away, from the vet(approx. $20) and I think they ate it. I'm not sure what kind of flies, they look like normal black flies to me.
    A few weeks ago I soaked the yard real good with 2 month acting Triazicide mainly for fleas and ticks.
    Does anybody know of a relatively cheap way or any way to get these darn flies away from the dogs? They have to be driving them crazy, there are so many of them. We've also tried a lot of other stuff and give the dogs a bath every couple weeks.
    If anybody can help me help out my babies I'll be forever grateful!!!:wink::big_smile:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    John, I really hate to say this, but your inattention is showing. Face it, those dogs are dead. :crazy: They haven't moved in a week and the baths your giving them won't take the smell away. :eek:oooh:Just forget about the flies an bury them dang things.

I knew ya was a tad slow, but geez.........:wink:

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont know how to keep them away but if they get sores just put bacon grease on the sores and the sores will disapear and the flies wont get in them to aggitate them next time you cook bacan use the grease left over after it cools and just put a dab 3 times a day on it till it disapears

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The bacon grease will attract them a lot more wouldn't it??? Not sure but it seems like it...

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    John, i have 6 dogs and i have that problem with a couple of them. i tried everything the vet recommended and none of it worked. here is what is 100% effective for me. deep woods off......i spray it on their ears and NO MORE fly probs...try it:big_smile:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I was wondering why they never move to eat or get up??? We also have to grag them to give them the baths and boy they are stiff!!!:smile2:

All jokes aside, the big Rott Harley that is in bad shape don't get around much. Maggie my younger half Rott is always running around. I just can't stand to see them going through this hell!!! I know I'd go crazy having flies swarming and landind & biting me constantly. It breaks my heart bad enough because its not gonna be much longer before I have to have Harley put down from real bad hip displasia and arthritis, sometimes he can't even get up to go do a #2. He loves car rides but can't even get in the car, he weighs between 170-180lbs and is a teenager in dog years.....:sad2:
    I'm willing to try anything, my Mother-In-Law(may as well be) said she'd buy what ever it takes to help no matter the cost.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks Phil, I'll get some and try it! I have REPEL Sportsmans Max 40% deet. Wonder if that'll help? I know it'll burn from the bites and sores the flies have caused but if it works it'd be worth it.:wink::big_smile:
    What % Deet is it?

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the grease makes a film that the flies cant get thue plus it helps the sore heals we used bacon grease on all the animals on the ranch used it on horses girth sores back sores and dogs ears

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    OK, Thank You very much for the info!!!:wink::big_smile:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Another question Phil, how often do you spray them with it?:confused2:

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    John just tell the m in law to be that a few abu's on some nice rods will do the trick since you'll be fishing & wont be able to see the flies bother the dogs!!!:wink::smile2: Gotta think outside the box buddy, come and get with it!!!! No seriously, are there any fruit trees or some kinda tree that is attracting the flies, then they just go to bother the dogs????? There has to be something else there attracting the flies, if not just put em inside & go fishing.....problem solved..........Don't worry I'll bill you later...:smile2::smile2:

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    twice daily....morning, and mid afternoon....just do it as you need to as it won't hurt them. like people, keep it out of their eyes.:big_smile:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No fruit trees or anything like that that would attract them. Also the dog doo gets cleaned every couple days if not every day.
    I'd put them in but their so big it just can't happen. Also Harley, the BIG Rott that is in bad health can't control himself, sometimes he can't get up to go to a place to use the bathroom and just goes where he is laying. I give him 3 reg. strength aspirin a day and it seems to help some, as was told me to do by a couple vets.
    The day were gonna have to put him down is getting near and it tears me up!!!
    I'd love to have at least 1 or 2 more Abu 6500c3's but there is that little thing called money stopping me...:wink::smile2:

Thank You Phil very much for that info, you think the stuff I have would work or should I have Regina pick up a can of the Deep Woods Off today?

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    John, our yard dog used to have the same problem all summer long. We used the high dollar pink stuff from the vet until a neighbor suggested we use vaseline. Smear a big dob of vaseline on each ear & it'll keep flies off. Gotta do it pretty much every single day though, because your dogs will wipe it off during the day, while swatting at the flies buzzing around their eyes & such. Anyway, it works pretty well and it's way cheaper than the stuff from the vet supply stores.

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

John, i bet your stuff will work ok. as far as vaseline or other stuff, i have a couple of dogs that will groom the others...they will lick that stuff off the dogs i put it on. however, they won't touch the OFF it goes to the skin and keeps repelling flies most of the day.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

OK, If we have some vaseline in the med cabinet I'll try it also. I'll get Regina to spray them down around 5pm this evening when she gets home.
    Thank You for the help!!!
    Thats what I love about this place, ask a question and in no time you get a lot of good answers.
    Thank You All that have commented!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I wonder if the stuff they sell at the co-op for cows would work. They have this thing hanging between two trees on a rope that the cows can walk under and rub some of the stuff on their backs. It seems to work on the cows but I don't know about dogs though.

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Our outdoor German Shepard had the same problem a few years ago, the flies had his ears pretty much bald. My wife spayed them regularly with Avon's skin-so-soft spray, and that pretty much took care of em. I guess it works good for mosquitos, gnats, fleas, and biting flies. It is meant for humans, but he didnt seem to mind. :wink:

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now Jim, how much help to John was that post?:wink::smile2:

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had also wondered about the skin so soft. I didn't know it'd be good for biting flies, Thank You!!!

Thank You all for all the comments!!! Me and my Dogs appreciate all the advice we can get on this, I hate seeing them miserable because of this!!!Keep them coming, that way In case one don't work, I'll have other things to keep trying until it works great. I'm hoping the REPEL I have works good because I have almost a whole can of it.:confused2::wink::big_smile:

Thank You all again so much!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2: