Question about Flathead Catfish - Do they bite after a rain

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Do flatheads bite well after a big rain??? It rained all day in eastern PA today and want to try tomorrow. The river will be up too. Thank you for any info.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    From my experience, everything that I have read, and heard, just about every fish bites well after a big rain. There is a lot of stuff going on, so they start feeding on everything. Some of the better spots are in the eddies by big log jams, and things like that. Good luck :)

:0a26:

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have had a lot of luck fishing after heavy rains so it should be good.

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I think u should go. If you do and u are fishing a river and the water is up ether fish it at night right up next to the bank but if durring the day try to find an eddy to fish behind or a realy good runoff creek.
    TEAR 'EM UP!!!!!!

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Absolutely, Ive caught lots of flatheads after rains and storms, you will find them father up the tributaries than where you usually find them.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tan, I tore up the cats today here in Ky, on the Ohio River. The river his high and muddy from a couple of days of rain. I was fishing in 10 feet or less of water upstream from structure. I was using small threadfin shad. Useing live ones, but hooking them dead by splitting them down the middle before hooking them. I would anchor upstream about 10 to 20 yards and pitch two or three poles right above the current on a three way rig. At times the bite was so good that the first pole would have a fish before the third pole was cast out. Fishing in the daylight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., the flatties didn't seem to care. Vern

7. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    SURE ENOUGH, The one in my avitar was caugh on r&r about 30 min after a heavy rain.off the bank.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've actually caught them during a nice rain storm. Caught a couple within 10 minutes of each other one time during a day when it was a steady rain most of the day.

9. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    fish in my avatar came in after a huge thunderstorm, had 5 nice steady warm days, then the downpour, then mr. flathead went downtown on a one way gamakatsu ticket.

10. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After heavy runoff its harder to catch them but you can catch them as easy if your in the right spot. If your fishing a river, current breaks are the key. Find slackwater with some kind of cover and you're in a money hole.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    In the creek I fish after a big rain the catfish just don't seem to bite that good, I think its because the water gets so dirty. I have some friends from Kansas that only go fishing after a good strom and they really get into the flatheads. I guess it just matters where you fish.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Catch the river on a rise or a fall and you should really have at em! When it starts raining on a small river it seems like someone rang the dinner bell. I have always had outstanding production on the rise. Larger rivers take a little longer to muddy-up but if you can find a tributary thats pumping fresh muddy water sit down on it just above where it dumps in and get ready. Fish right down in the fresh muddy water comming in, you'll do fine!
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Went out on Sunday and man, the river was raging!!!!!!!
    I don't think 10 ounces would have held bottom.
    Slip floated a bluegill for about an hour and called it quits.
    Guess I'll wait for the river to go back down.
    Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If possible in river like for slac water behind obstructions or feeder creeks with slower water.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught my biggest flathead of 50-lbs right after a heavy rain, but before the river got way up..Once the river is up I cant catch them.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't think they had them there. Around here they seem to bite ANY TIME THEY WANT....with WANT being the operative word! I've caught them in just about all conditions but sometimes I'll wait for hours with no action....then all of a sudden I can't get two poles in the water for fighting fish. They'll hit like crazy for a couple hours and then shut down.

17. okiehillbilly

okiehillbilly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We just got four inches finally... but it is COLD, I dont think we would have any luck here.

18. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I love to fish in the rain. I plan my trips for it. Small rivers will rise in the rain then it gets great. I mainly fish the mississippi so the river dosn/t rise much even with a good rain. How ever they do bite most times when its raining , the harder the better.

19. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    about three years ago an old man fishing below the adel dam right next to it in a hole about 12ft. it had been raining all day just a light rain, when the storm pick up the old man reeled in a 71lb flatty. i fish rain or shine, there is something about the presure in the air that is what i have been told but dont know a lot about it. but go out and get wey it is refreshing and good for the soul.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Flatheads, blues and channels will pretty much bite every time they get wet. It is their nature.