question about fishing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by nitemare_63, Nov 28, 2008.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    about the fishing line rating on the the rods that say 10-25lb or whatever the case. Is that a number that i should go by to represent how big of a fish that specific rod can handle without breaking or can they handle more than the fishing line lb rating on the side? i have recently got a new medium/heavy rod with 12-25lb and i fish small rivers mostly but if i go to bigger river and possibly hook a 50lb cat can my rod handle that kind of fish? i would appreciate any help i can get on the subject... thanks a lot guys.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the line rating is the recomended line size for that rod not how big of fish it will handel. using line bigger than recomended will affect the performance of the rod and could cause breakage under the right conditions. as far as how big of fish a rod can handle depends on the quality of the rod. my general figure on the size of fish is roughly twice the lowest rated piece of equiptment should be easy pickings.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to boc Dustin, in addition to what kscathunter said, the drag on your reel plays a big part also. There is a wealth of information on boc, you have only to read.

4. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the advice guys.. yeah i know there is a lot of info on here and i find myself on here alot lol

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dustin Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Lots of info on this site to consume. Enjoy.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

6. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome everybody. another question sorta. has anyone used penn reels? i know this guy who fishes on the ohio river and thats all he uses and he told me tha he uses medium action rods and combined with that reel he has no problem landing big ones and i have seen pics he has caught some huge fish for sure.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, those numbers help me out, If you're trying to match reels and rods, with your line weight..
    I'm guilty of putting much heavier line on my Rod/reel combos than specified, but, that is mainly for some help w/ abrasion or structure damage..

I've got several 6500 type reels with everything from 10# to 30#, and use them on different weight rods for different type fishing.. Bass, bait, channel cats..lighter lineand less rod,,,,,'For flatcts w/ 20-30# line and stiffer/tougher rod.

It helps me out so I don't get a flyweight rod, with a monster reel-line combo. or a rod that feels like a log with light tackle..

The operator has a lot to do with the success or a particuler set-up!!!:wink::big_smile::smile2:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dustin.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First of all welcome to the BOC. I always look for the lure weight listing on rods. I only bank fish and all of my rods are 12' and are all casting rods. The main three I use all have different lure ratings. One has 3-8oz, one has 4-10oz and the other has 6-12oz. Obviously the rod with the 6-12oz rating is much stiffer and requires a heavier weight to get maximum casting distance than the 3-8oz rated rod. As far as landing a large fish on a lighter rod, that depends on your skill with and how good the drag and line capacity of the reel you are using. Good luck.

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The hefty conventional Penns are great for most kind of catfishing, like the 209, 309, Jigmaster, Squidder, Senator and others, and will serve you well. These can often be had on Ebay at a reasonable cost, are easy to maintain, parts are available, and are tough as nails. If you haven't tried out one of these reels, it's worth it to do so. I really like mine.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Dustin. Best of luck fishing...

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've been told by Rod manufacturers themselves that the line rating is a recommendation say, 15-25-40 the best performance would come from the 25 up to 40, but the blank can handle more realistically.Its just not recommended. say like large diameter 40# mono verses the thin 85# braid, it can easily be used ,but its up to the fishermen to adjust to the situation/Drag..

I'm pretty sure thats the way he explained it.

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dustin,
    Welcome to The BOC fromSo.Alabama

14. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the welcome guys, and also for all the help
    keep the post coming the more info the better