Question about finding flathead catfish in lakes

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jun 27, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK, I have a question, and with the knowledge in here, I am sure I can get a good answer.

Due to family commitments I will be camping this holiday weekend at a lake here in Kansas (Cheney Lake) that is not known for having flatheads in it. Some say they aren't there at all, but I have seen them caught on accident either by people trolling for walleye, or fishing live bait for walleye. My guess is that if there are enough of them in there to catch on accident, there may just be a mess of them in there. This will be the first time I have tried to catch them exclusively. I will be using black perch (green sunfish) and white perch mainly for bait. If I can find some river worms, I may use a wad of those too.

A little about the lake. It is a relatively shallow lake. There are places you can wade out 200 yards and still only be a little over waist deep. It is mainly smooth bottom, with some rock fishing piers built over the years. The water is pretty stained most of the time. It is FULL of white perch, which was accidently stocked by the KDWP a few years ago, and they have pretty much taken over the lake. The lake is very large, although shallow like I mentioned. It is fed by a very small river. We are camping on the east shore (Heimerman Point) for anyone familar with the lake. The lake is constantly pounded by wind as well (as all Kansas lakes are).

I would appreciate any and all comments, and if there is anything about the lake I am leaving out, ask and I will fill you in.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I would look for blow downs, brush piles, etc. Also, fishing the mouth of the small river that feeds it would be a good place start imho.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with Tim.

4. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont have a whole bunch of catfishing experience but from what I hear like cattledogz and subnetxero are saying the mouth of the river and blowdowns would be good places to start:smile2:

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I agree with all the above. I would also add, try and find where the creek channel is. Fish just right above it or the first big brush pile you find on it.
    Also there maybe a place where the channel moves close to the bank. There you would have deep water coming up swallow pretty quick, that would be place I would hit.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would try to find a shallow flat loaded with stumps and other structure on the bottom, and fish that during the night. During the day I would find the deep holes of the river channel in the lake that have rocks, boulders and submerged timber. Try both live and cut bluegills. Good luck

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    He knows what he's talkin' about. And I agree with the main channel in the lake idea too. Since you said its stocked chalk full of white perch, I'd mostly use them and probably keep 'em live. But, it wouldn't hurt to throw out a piece of cutbait from them either.

-Red

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish a residentrial lake here all the time that my family has had a house on since it was built. It is about 60 acres, not a huge lake or anything, but maybe I can help. It's great because there are flatheads in there, but I never see anybody else fish for them, I do see people occasionally fish for the channels that are in there, seen a couple come out of there that are 20lbs+. Anyways, my best suggestion is fish coves that are atleast 8ft+ deep at the mouth and have plenty of structure. Fish the mouth of the cove during the daylight hours, and even during the early evening and morning. And after dark fish towards the end of the cove where it shallows up to about 3-5ft. This cove that I fish I can break down into 3 sections. Section 1: the mouth of the cove between 2 docks, depth of about 12ft. with a submerged stump at it's widest point and some other brush about 10ft to the right of that. Section 2: the middle section of the cove where the bank drops straight off into about 3ft. of water and has an average depth of 7-8ft.; has 2 submerged stumps and several brush piles, very heavily snag filled. Section 3: the end of the cove where it is about 3-4ft.; not a whole lot of snags in this area, but there are a lot of easy pickings bluegills; small drainage ditch empties in there from a small creek bed that collects rain water up the hill from there, very productive after a good rain. Good luck and hope I helped.

9. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    flat heads are anywhere thats difficult to get line in at. they tend to love logs and anything solid overhead. I have caught some at night a couple feet from shore in large rock beds but i think it was a backwards lake to begin with!

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    sometimes i go fishing in robinson lake and we catch flathead...i dont know if there is any in the lake you are talking about though