Question about etiquette....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I noticed in the last cat tournament I fished, that when other boaters would come by they would just have it nailed, and they waves would just about beat us to death, and even caused the 360 degree light to fly off the boat into the water.

My question is when boating day or night, and approching another boater is it proper ediquett to slow down so that the wake does not beat him, or just nail it?

I would think that slowing down would be, proper. But thats my opinion. I would like to have everyones opinion. Maybe we can get a boaters safty lesson out of this...LOL.

Glenn

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rumor as well as physics dictate that a wake is smaller at high speed. I say, "BULL DUNG" LOL! Slow down ya idiot! LOL!

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ditto on the Bull dung.slow down and give some room. you never if that dude in the other boat has a snagin hook ready to let fly at you!

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
  5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    if you dont slow down when you go by me you might see a bird or two plus hear some profoun langauge

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Be poilite to fellow boaters ,sloooooooooooow down don't make waves. DON'T

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Be poilite to fellow boaters ,sloooooooooooow down don't make waves. Don't take that long to speed back up.

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Let's face facts you don't know anything about what is going on in the other boat and the waves rocking it could cause a hook going into another person and so slow down lest the next boat rocked could be yours

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am respectful to other boaters. There are laws for those who or not.

Sometimes its best to get up and go on by, sometimes it's not.
    I use my best lake boating judgment/experience to do the right thing.

I'm not rude on the lake. Little common sense is all it takes.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I try and steer as wide of them to what seems an appropriate distance so as not to disturb the fish if they would happen to be getting any bites and slow down also. If I can't steer wide, then I'll usually go down to just above an idle as I pass.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have passed and returned a strong wake to a few but im sure thats not nice . in my 16' flat bottom as long as im on plain theres not much wake but on another note if i slow down theres much more wake , this being said i have on accasion slowed down far enough away to keep any wake from hitting another boat , and if going down river have even killed the moter and spoke as i went by .

i have also slowed down and sped back up to intentionaly wake the offending boater who obviously didnt mind wakeing me , in after thought maybe the other boater didnt know what he was doing was offensive .

we all need to use our best judgement and conscider the other guy and his inexperience

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    In addition to the wake,

I know when I am fishing at night i am usually anchoring deep and throwing shallow....on more than one occasion...I have had lines cut or tangled in other motor props because I couldn't reel in fast enough and the bass boats WONT slow down and i usually have out 3-4 rods.

It's O.K. because what goes around comes around. I use 65lb. suffix braid....that should put a one heck of a hurtin on those prop seals....

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Slowing down is the right thing to do. Alot of fisherman will slow down for me but the speed boats forget it.
    Bill

14. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I always slow to a crawl. I had a boat blow by me once while I was bent over reaching for the anchor rope and it threw me overboard. I looked long and hard for the guy but I didnt find him..Lucky for both of us I'm sure...

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id much rather they just go on by at full throttle as aposed to hanging around for the cussing they get from not being on plain , as far as my lines if their close enuff to get in them their close enuff to catch a 5oz sinker in the head

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    My little boat is too small for the Ohio, and only use a trolling motor.
    But I had so much trouble at Patoka because of the high HP boats I just stay in the speed control areas....and even then seems lots of folks ignore the warnings. Like all the trash in our playground, some folks just don't play "nice". Ron White said, "I didn't know a bass could swim 60mph."
    I don't need a motorcycle that will do 130mph off the showroom floor, & I don't want a boat that you can waterski with for fishing. Just don't get it.
    Guess I'm just a grumpy old fart! Think I'll go fire up my Evo. Aggravates the Kawasaki down the block.......I don't need to pop a wheelie to run to Dairy Mart either.
    :cool2: