question about draw length and such

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by switchback, Sep 9, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought a 28 in draw switchback three years ago and love it and when i bought it i got a dozen goldtip ultralight 400s. Well i finally broke or lost all but one of them. Well with season coming up i went to my local shop and ordered arrows well thats when i reallized that my arrows are just under 27.5 inches long how is that when i have a 28 inch draw length. I think i have it figured out but ive been wrong before so i hope one of you might have the answer THANKS

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Im not good with all this math stuff but it all depends on what kind of rest you have and how far back it is mounted. I have a 31 in draw and my arrows are 28 in. That is because i used to shoot an over draw and my brace hight was longer. When i bought my new bow they still work for that reason. Wish i could be more help. someone will probably be on here to better explain it for you.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well i shoot a whisker biscut and its mounted as far back as it can get so thats how i think i can get away with it. I noticed that if i want to shoot any real big broadheads or the gobbler guiotine that i will definately have to use longer arrows. My arrow sticks out of the whisker biscut about an inch and is still close enough that at full draw that with a bigger diameter broadhead would hit my riser.

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    be careful where u put ur fingers.. dont wanna cut urself like i did a couple years ago.. ouch

5. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    It sounds like it's time to order longer arrows, and reset up your bow.

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    why shot it for three years and havnt had any problesms yet this will be my fourth season with it and ive killed at least one deer a year with this set up, if something is not right i will but thats the way the bow shop that i bought it from set it up for me

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks wil and i know i have almost done that but my friend saw wer my fingers wer and stopped me before i shot luckily at a target not a deer

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i shot fingers out till that happened, now what i do is hold the bow loosley with my index finger and thumb and let the others out so theres still minimal tension on the grip

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Couldn't have said it any better!! Go to a pro shop and get the bow set properly. My advice is to throw the whisker biscuit in the trash and get a fall away rest!! Don't take this personal whisker biscuit owners!! Any rest that has contact with the vanes, will affect the perfomance of the shot. I've seen to many guys with this rest that have bent or torn vanes. Not for me. The fall away rest is the best there is.. The concept of the whisker biscuit rest is for arrow containment. Which is great!! But if you have good form, then the fall away rest will get the job done on any shot angle you might encounter with much better accuracy!! Never seen a pro with a whisker biscuit on his or her bow!! 3-d shooter, paper or hunter!!

Just my thoughts!!
    Mark..

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to dissagree i have no problem with the whisker biscut at all. I bought a dozen arrows when i bought my bow not one of them has had torn or rolled or bent fletchings because of the biscut. I have had my bow now for 4 years and still have one of the original arrows with original fletchings and wrap and i shoot everyday at least 20 times depending on how i feel. And accuracy thats not a problem either i can touch my arrows together at 40 yards.

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You guys keep telling me to get it set up right whats wrong with it? I had it set up at the shop that I bought it at and never had any problems with it at all. Im not being a smart a$$ i just want to know why and what is wrong with it?

12. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    the fletches are bent or torn cuz arrows hit eachother.. see theres a reason u dont see that with a fall away rest its cuz arrows dont hit eachother haha:roll_eyes:

13. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I watched primos truth about hunting today and will primos was useing a whisker biscut. He may not be the best but he makes more money hunting than i do

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds like you want a little competition! he!he! ha! ha!. My cousin has the old style whisker biscuit. He always had problems with bent or torn vanes. Probably because he was using cheap flimsy vanes too. Anyhow I'll stick with the fall away rest. Want try me at 80 yds Wil?? Come on little buddy!!

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just sitting back and absorbing at this time.

16. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    see i dont practice at 80 yards cuz i dont need to! all my game comes in at under 30:smile2:

17. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I agree i shoot a biscut and shoot anywhere from 300-500 arrows a week and shoot very well imo,i can stack all 5 arrows tight damn neer everytime

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sorry to say Wil, practicing at longer yardages makes you that much better at shorter yardages. Proven fact.:wink: Don't get stuck in the short yardage rut!!:wink::big_smile::smile2: If I see a trophy animal at over 40yds and I'm confident in the shot, I will make that shot. Maybe unethical to some, but that's I practice at longer yardages too. I've know guys that hammer Antelope at 80 to 100 yds. with archery equipment. No joke!!

19. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree the only reason i stop at forty is cause i rarely have a shot that far due to brush. Theres nothing unethical about it if its a good clean hit and quick kill, thats what matters.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    haha alright u got me!